[Marxism] It's finally happened: porn film actors want a union

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Sat May 1 12:16:16 MDT 2004

April 30, 2004: NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Adult film actors are trying to
unionize, sparked partly by worries that AIDs is spreading in the
pornographic film industry, a news report said. The Los Angeles Times
reported this week that about 35 performers voted unanimously in a private
meeting to draw up a list of demands and a bill of rights for workers in the
industry, which is believed to generated billions of dollars in sales
annually in the United States alone. More meetings will be held to address
issues including health care, pay and scheduling, the newspaper said.
Performers are paid by the scene or day and do not receive pay for overtime
work, even when it involves a 20-hour-day, according to the report. "If you
look at how much money is being made by the industry and how much goes down
to the talent, I think there needs to be a union," longtime actor Tony
Tedeschi told the newspaper. (...) Attempts by adult film actors to unionize
failed in 1993 and 1998, the report said.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/30/news/porn_union/index.htm

There once was a union maid, she never was afraid
Of goons and ginks and company finks and the deputy sheriffs who made the
raid.
She went to the union hall when a meeting it was called,
And when the Legion boys come 'round
She always stood her ground.
  Oh, you can't scare me, I'm sticking to the union,
  I'm sticking to the union, I'm sticking to the union.
  Oh, you can't scare me, I'm sticking to the union,
  I'm sticking to the union 'til the day I die.
This union maid was wise to the tricks of company spies,
She couldn't be fooled by a company stool, she'd always organize the guys.
She always got her way when she struck for better pay.
She'd show her card to the National Guard
And this is what she'd say:
You gals who want to be free, just take a tip from me;
Get you a man who's a union man and join the ladies' auxiliary.
Married life ain't hard when you got a union card,
A union man has a happy life when he's got a union wife.