[Marxism] Replying to David was: The U.S. defeat in Fallujah

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sat May 1 18:42:59 MDT 2004

From: David Walters

"Hate to be a kill-joy here, but I don't agree. his "retreat"
in no-way represents a "defeat" for the US. In the sense that
they can't roam around Fallujah like tourists, sure, you can
call it that. There is no question that from a military point
of view, the US can obliterate Fallujah in about one hour. It
can kill most or all of it's inhabitants and occupy the
rubble. It was considered since despite the risings in other
towns, Fallujah represents the heart of the uprising."

My comment: Hi David, If the retreat from Fallujah is not a
military defeat what is it? You say it cannot be a military
defeat, beacuse the Americans cannot be defeated militarily.

Your reference here to the American capacity to totally
destroy Fallujah and Iraq is only partially correct,
however.  You could add to that their capacity to destroy the
entire planet. But war to coin a cliche is just politics by
another means.  The capacity to deploy fire power is always
politically circumscribed in any actual context.  You
mentioned some such as WW2, Korea and Vietnam, when a
Fallujah type situation would have been resolved by rendering
the city to ground zero.

But the politics of this war are totally different. The
American military's room for manoeuvre is curtailed by
factors such as the strength of the peace movement and the
impact on the Arab world of the invasion.

So they could not obliterate Fallujah.  That left them with
the military option of storming the city.  They tried this
and they failed.  Their casualties would have been horrific
if they had pressed on. At the end of three weeks they were
still on the outskirts of the city.  Moreover they had
revealed the old weakness of the American Army.  Impressive
fire power -yes.  Actually fighting capacity on the ground -
poor. That was the verdict of the Chinese High Command after
Korea, and all the events of the past three weeks have backed
it up.

Now most of the above I think you would agree with, or
perhaps even claim you said as much in your post, David.  But
what of the political scenario?  I think it is fair to
summarise you as saying that they have put in the quislings
and if they do not do the job required the marines will be
back.

However this misses the point that this is the third lot of
quislings.  The Chalabi forces have been sent packing.
Brahimi’s quisling meritocrats may not even get a chance to
strut their stuff.  Which of course means that the entire neo-
con strategy is in tatters.  Their dream was of a neo-
liberal “democracy” in Iraq, which would be a close ally of
Israel and would be a rich source of glittering jewels for
American corporations.  That is all over now.  What we are
witnessing is the scramble to keep the ship from sinking.

It is not a question of the Marines saying ‘Hey you do the
job here in Fallujah or else we will be back to kick ass.’

Of course they have said that in public.  But in private they
add, “Please, for god’s sake”.  No one now knows what will
happen.  But I think it would be worth revisiting some of the
predictions from the right wing Arab leaders.  They warned
that the war would open the “gates of hell” and the whole
region would burn.  That prediction was laughed at after the
seemingly swift victory and the capitulation of the Saddam
regime. But these have become the blows that strengthen the
backs of the Arabs and do not break them.  We now have a
resistance army, which has real accomplishments behind it and
is growing in confidence.  We should note here the criticism
from inside the mujahadeen of the deal that Iraqi politicians
worked out with the marines.

Events of the last few weeks – such as the attack by
Jordanian police on American police, and the killings of
foreigners in Saudi Arabia – are showing, arguably, that the
gates of hell scenario is a very real possibility.  I think
the Americans are beginning to believe that as well.  Hence
the return of the Republican Guard!

So to sum up a military defeat in Fallujah – yes, and yes
again.
A political defeat? Yes but even more than that there is the
very real possibility of an epochal defeat for imperialism