[Marxism] Question to Melvin

DoC donaloc at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 05:27:40 MDT 2004

A chara,

You consistently speak about the mode of production moving away from
industrialisation as having changed the strategy of revolution. I
remember you posted a whole series of articles on this - can you expand
on what you're saying again. Perhaps I will understand better this time
about.

On a separate note, I see that you explain the Reign of Terror on the
personal qualities of Stalin. Without wanting to raise a Trotsky Vs
Stalin debate which would get us all banned off the list, do you not
think that this somehow reflected the workings of Soviet society as
opposed to one man. I saw a warped documentary (made by the French but
translated into Irish) on the legacy of Lenin - they claimed that there
was a continuity between what Lenin did and what Stalin did. The trials,
the cheka, the 'red terror' and the forcible confiscation of grain all
had origins in the late 1910s/early 1920s. To some extent the context is
the explanation - they were tough times and they called for tough
measures. Perhaps the discontinuity between Lenin and Stalin can be best
explained by the sly comment of the French professor: "Well, if in some
way the life of a Communist leader like Bakunin is worth more than the
life of an orthodox monk, then, yes, Stalin represents a step-change
from Lenin". In a sense, the Trotskyists are precisely capable of
arguing this point - that it's okay to order the killings of orthodox
monks but not fellow well-intentioned communists. All the same, what's
of interest now, is just what processes brought about this configuration
and accelerated it in the late 1930s.

Is mise
DoC.