[Marxism] Why did the Abu Ghraib soldiers take the pictures?

lshan at bcn.net lshan at bcn.net
Tue May 4 21:00:57 MDT 2004

The evening I saw an interview on MNBC [Keith Olbermann's program, but I
don't recall if he conducted this interview] with an attorney for an Abu
Ghraib soldier who was pictured in the infamous photographs. The interviewer
was making fun of the soldier and the attorney for the soldier's stupidity
in taking the photos. When asked in a jocular voice whether the soldier was
told to take the pictures, the attorney said yes.

This seemed very weird until I came across this on the Al Jazeerah website:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/316F0ADE-FDFC-466A-95F6-A591FD01A75C.
htm

"Another released prisoner, Haidir Sabbar told Aljazeera that 'CIA officials
and two Iraqi and Egyptian translators showed is immoral pictures of the
acts that took place' before interrogating them."

Now it makes sense. The picture-taking was an on-going process. This is why
they took so many. They were told to. It may also explain why the soldiers
so readily followed orders. They were  shown earlier photos that supported
this activity. And it is added evidence that there are many other pictures,
some even more offensive than those that we have already seen.

Only the action of a few offended soldiers and others in the chain that lead
to CBS's revelations have allowed us to get a partial glimpse of what is
going on in Iraq, in Guantanamo, and in secret locations around the world.

from Brian Shannon