[Marxism] People Say I'm Crazy

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Wed May 5 16:21:10 MDT 2004

  Amen Rachel!

  The common myth peddled by psychiatry is that medications are
the wonder cures of so-called "mental illness". Along these lines, I
was encouraged by a psychiatrist to take medications after being
diagnosed with "depression". The so-called anti depressants
caused me to develop a chronic neurological disorder called
Spasmodic Tortocollis. The disorder leads to involuntary
movements in my neck to the point that it becomes  difficult to
maintain my balance and walk let alone do any activity that
requires steadiness. When I was 17, the symptoms of the
tortocollis got so bad that I did not leave my bed for 3/4 of the year.
Consequently, I dropped out of high school and lost contact with
many of my friends. I had to be bathed and fed by my mother and I
was forced to take heavy dosages of anti parkisonian medications
and muscle relaxants to lessen the symptoms. My complete
reliance on medications continued for about 7 years.

 I continue to have persistent neck pain and stiffness most of the
year. I have to undergo constant physio-therapy and rely on
periodic injections of botox just to keep the symptoms of the
tortocollis at a manageable level. Because the disorder is chronic,
it means that the symptoms will alway return. So unless a cure for
the disorder is found,  I will have to deal with this problem for the
rest of my life.

The whole notion that 'psychiatric' medications invariably lessen
symptoms of so-called mental illness -- which in reality are
behaviours that break with societal norms -- is a page taken out of
the major psychiatric journals and based more on faith for a dogma
than reality. Whether or not some people find psychiatric
medications helpful, just like cocaine (which incidentally Ritalin, a
drug used to treat Attention Deficit Disorder, is essentially identical
to) they invariably do damage to the body and brain. They often
time lead to tremendous dependency and have been credited with
causing tremendous suffering for many of its recipients --
deteriotation of physical health as well as mood swings and
suicidal tendencies and even death.

 Anyone interested in learning more about so-called psychiatric
medications shoud check out the authors  mentioned by Rachel. I
would add to the list: David Cohen. I believe he works out of the
Uni. of Florida and whose research dispells the myth that anti
psychotic drugs used to "treat" so-called schizophrenia are
overwhelmingly effective; more often, Cohen shows, they cause
tremendous harm for the intended recipients.

Another dispeller of psychiatry myths who writes on the hazards of
anti-depressants is Doctor Ann Tracey,
She maintains a website at: http://www.drugawareness.org

DOQ

Date sent:      	Wed, 5 May 2004 13:41:17 -0700 (PDT)