[Marxism] Chris Stein on research and adbusters

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Thu May 6 03:20:59 MDT 2004

"We were referencing a lot of stuff when we first came out like Jimi Hendrix
and the Rolling Stones," said guitarist Chris Stein. "But young kids aren't
going back far enough, they aren't getting to the real meat of things by
only using us or someone else from that time as a reference." (...)
Blondie's music was considered counterculture during the early '80s, when
the band performed at the seminal CBGB club in New York. Now, Blondie
argues, their brand of punk pop is mainstream.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/05/music.blondie.ap/index.html

last report from the states, new laptop will accompany and perhaps if all
goes i'll post from 'abroad' (Groucho Marx to Jayne Mansfield; "How does it
feel to be abroad?"). i'd like to steer everyone towards ADBUSTERS.org and
magazine...which reminds me of one of many campaigns that i think about
(actually this one goes back years and years) everybody hates tv commercials
why not have a boycott of anything advertised on TV? perhaps for a month or
a week or indefinitely if people could do without all the crap thats
advertised... why should we be burdened with all this garbage??? TV is bad
enough unto itself...another example: i guess about six or so years ago i
went to some movie in London, and there for the first time was subjected to
miserable advertisements for cars and soda whatever before the trailers for
upcoming films and eventually the movie itself "ha!" thought i "no one in
america would stand for this!" needless to say my consumer-oriented
nationalistic fervor was of course short lived...so why doesnt anyone DO
anything about this shit? have we really become such a world of sheep that
we have to put up with junk on this level... this isnt even like going to a
job you dont like... its just too screwed to pay for a movie and then have
to suffer through the same jeans commercial for the tenth time... i really
think that a product boycott and or letter writing campaign could actually
do something... all the networks and big corporate monsters are shit scared
of public opinion, and they all have websites and contact points... leaving
this monday, let me know what you think about the above maybe we can get rid
of TV commercials completly!!!!   love, see you at shows        chris
http://www.blondie.net/chris_stein_20031024.shtml