[Marxism] Question: An epoch of social revolution

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Thu May 6 08:26:11 MDT 2004

In a message dated 5/4/2004 6:30:26 AM Central Standard Time,
donaloc at hotmail.com writes:
You consistently speak about the mode of production moving away from
industrialisation as having changed the strategy of revolution. I
remember you posted a whole series of articles on this - can you expand on
what you're saying again. Perhaps I will understand better this time about.

The blow paragraph and link will clarify how we arrived at our economic and
political conclusions. Do note that this material was written in 1993. The
struggle to find our location in history has been very difficult. Many of us
noticed - like all revolutionaries in America, that something different was taking
place in the early 1980s. The auto industry was hit hard and I personally was
laid off for four years, starting January 11, 1980. It seemed as if the
industry faced a different level of dislocation/reorganization and we understood in
a limited way that this was not the classical agricultural crisis, industrial
crisis and financial crisis. Our literature would state "this is not a typical
crisis of overproduction - something else is happening." By the mid-1980s the
theory battle against the "underclass" was being waged. In Detroit you had a
section of the highest paid industrial workers in America hurled into absolute
destitution. Our party organizations began collapse as comrades moved to
Texas and the old plantation areas of the South. I moved to Atlanta and then into
the plantation areas.

Melvin P.

http://www.scienceofsociety.org/texts/epoch/epoch.complete.html

>Permanent, structural unemployment is pervasive and growing.
Increasing numbers of proletarians cannot sell their only  commodity -- labor
power. Production with high technology is forcing industrial production (i.e.
human labor coupled with electromechanics) off the market. The economy --
based on the buying and selling of labor power -- is being irreversibly
destroyed. The destruction of the economy will force society to
reorganize. This reorganization will change the forms of ownership
of socially necessary property from private to public. Only then
will the economy conform to the productive capacity of robots and
computers.

The new means of production, by creating a new epoch of social revolution,
have destroyed the communist movement that arose with industrialization.

The first 75 years of the 20th century were a time of social revolution in
the areas of the world still dominated by agriculture. This era, bloodied by
imperialist wars, civil wars, wars of national liberation and proletarian
revolutions, has come to an end. The transition is completed.<