[Marxism] Re: The Anatomy of Fascism

Ed George edgeorge at usuarios.retecal.es
Thu May 6 08:29:51 MDT 2004

Snip: 'p.s. I'm looking for a citation to the quote below:

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism, since it is the
merger of state and corporate power."'

*****

As far as I am aware, this was not Mussolini but the rather more
neo-Hegelian president of the Instituto Nazionale Fascista de Cultura,
Giovanni Gentile, who was charged with the putting together the
Enciclopedia Italiana. It is in the entry in this latter for 'fascism',
in volume 14, written by Gentile (in 1932), but attributed to Mussolini,
that the quotation occurs. It is, in fact, the only signed entry in this
work.

Is Gentile-Mussolini 'getting at an epiphenomenon or an essential
characteristic?' I think neither. I don't think you can take this kind
of thing at face-value.

Anyway, we seem to agree on the fundamental things. If I've misconstrued
what you've said in previous posts, I apologise.