[Marxism] Comments from a psychiatric nurse [holy man sues an elk...?]

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 6 12:46:03 MDT 2004

Rachel Mendoza wrote:
> So the question remains, are people still schizophrenic if they are alone in
> a forest? Szasz has a quote (I'm paraphrasing): If you talk to God, you are
> religious, if God talks to you, then you have schiozphrenia.

I would urge a little caution when it comes to Szasz. Politically, he is
a libertarian and much of his critique of psychiatry is driven by
abstract ideas about freedom. This includes opposition to the insanity
plea, which is something I have big problems with. When people with a
history of psychotic breaks end up in prison, there's something
seriously wrong with that. Of course, as I have already pointed out, the
draconian turn against the insanity defense occurred after the
assassination attempt on Reagan.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org