[Marxism] Forwarded from Dick Osborne

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 6 15:47:44 MDT 2004

(Dick is an alumnus of both Harvard and the SWP.)

I haven't read the [Michael] Ignatieff article yet but your account of it
certainly doesn't surprise me. He is just the latest of the many "pimps for
Imperialism" as you call them going back to Kissinger, Richard Pipes (and
now son Daniel), Samuel Huntington etc. etc. that my alma mater has
spawned. But Ignatieff's pose as a champion of human rights while he has
morphed into a shrewd apologist for the neo-con agenda, is particularly
repellent.

The attempt to justify sleep deprivation and other forms of abuse as
tactically necessary in the war on terrorism is a fraud. As we've recently
seen in the Iraq prison abuse scandals, all it takes is the vaguest green
light and invitation to "soften up" prisoners and process of dehumanizing
and degrading them begins and easily snow balls. Speaking as a
psychologist, one of the reasons is that, unfortunately, abuse and torture
is powerfully arousing and addictive for the abusers. They get high on it,
love the power, get even for all their pent up personal wounds and
grievances on these convenient and powerless scapegoats. The protests,
cries, and begging of those who are tortured just enflames their tormentors
who project whatever feelings shame they have onto their victims and then
want to dominate and degrade them even more. And just as with a drug addict
who starts by snorting a little heroin, it easily progresses to a desire
for a stronger and stronger fix -- in this case, the arousing fix of
sadistic pleasure that the torturers experience. That's why in those
pictures you see all that gloating and smiling. They're having fun. And
don't think that that's because they are "monsters" or unusually twisted
individuals. They were probably pretty average and normal before they got
into it --just like many of Germans, Poles, Croatians etc. who got caught
up in the Nazi death squads. It is a slippery slope and Ignatieff's
argument for limited "controlled" torture to extract information is pure
fantasy and apologetics.

Thanks also for your review of the film on schizophrenia -- sounds
interesting; I just hope it makes it to out local art house in Albany.

Dick Osborne

Louis Proyect
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org