[Marxism] RE: Curing Schizophrenia

Tony Abdo gojack10 at hotmail.com
Thu May 6 17:28:32 MDT 2004

http://hcpc.uth.tmc.edu/schizophrenia.htm

Here is a fairly typical medical site, with fairly typical commentary
regarding schizoprenia, Lou.  One can quickly see, that mixed messages are
being thrown out.   You can see that why a 100% cure is never claimed, it
appears that something quite close to that is.   That's becauuse the medical
system pushes for strict compliance with their currently vogue sets of
medication guidlines.   So success is always held to be within reach for the
patient and upset relatives, and always at the most negligible cost.   Truth
is much less prettier though.

This list is actually having several parallel discussions.  Some are talking
about pharmaceuticals used for treatment of depression, and some are talking
about pharmaceutical treatment of one particular catch-all diagnosis,
schizophrenia.  And some are talking about medications in general being
overused in the arena of all psychiatric disorders or conditions.  And some
of just talking about pharmaceuticals abuse by the system overall, in both
medical and psych areas.  And the general discussion is getting totally
mixed up into a free for all, with all themes running together.

I am not against pharmaceutical treatment for psych disorders. I am not even
particularly against recreational use of medication.  Medications have a
multitude of uses and abuses, and they should neither be demonized, or held
up as being miracle stuff.  I believe, though, that the medical system in
the US does just both, and it is this inconsistency that is the real problem
in discussing these issues here on this list.

There are those that feel meds are doing much more than they really are
doing to relieve medical and/ or psych problems, and there are those who
respond to this with an outraged attack that tends to mainly be almost a
Libertarian response to just one angle of the whole med-drug debate, that of
the issue of people being forced or conned into taking what are really very
dangerous meds.   This is certainly a huge problem, and it should not be
sluffed off as the medical establishment constantly does.

None of that is to say, that pharmaceuticals certainly do have some function
in the treatment of both depressive psychosis, and also varying types of
schizophrenia, Lou.  I leave off here, since the kids are still screaming
across the house.  Sorry about the poor editing and wrong header on my
previous comment on this issue.

Maybe a post on the Tylenol vs Aspirin issue later on can help put the drug/
med debate in a less emotional light?  Certianly, emotions will not be so
flamed on this matter, and it might help to shed some light on how the
system deals with medication issues in general.  In short, what appears at
first glance to be TRUTH and SCIENCE is not always the case in the wacky
world of profit driven medical delivery systems.

Tony