[Marxism] Psychiatry: Adam Levenstein...

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Fri May 7 14:02:11 MDT 2004

--- David Quarter <davidquarter at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> ADAM:<<<Whoa whoa whoa...Are you actually saying that
there's no such
> thing as
> biological depression? Yeah, there's a "mood" version, but there
IS
> such a thing as biological depression. >>>>
>

> DAVID:
> What's "biological depression", Adam? Are you suggesting that
there
> is
> such as a thing as a depression gene?

<<<<What? Where do you GET that? Biological depression =
depression gene?
HUH? There's such a thing as a hernia, that doesn't mean there's a
"hernia gene.">>>>

DAVID: Actually, it is usually implied in a statement of this kind
when made by a psychiatrist, which again indicates your level of
knowledge about psychiatry . I.e. Zero knowledge.

ADAM<<<Yes, there IS such a thing as depression. >>>>

DAVID: Now you are evading the question. I asked what you meant
by “biological depression”?

The term “biological depression” associates the source of the
behaviour to organic/biological causes, be it genes or ‘chemical
imbalances’. Again, on what basis do you make this claim?

ADAM: <<<<Which is why stuff like
Prozac, St. John's Wort, and other anti-depressants *work*,
whether
Breggin and you like it or not.>>>

DAVID: Hmmm.

I suppose that if someone is feeling down (“depressed”) and
decides to take a jog and feels better afterwards, that proves that
depression is biological.

I’m being called stupid, yet this guy doesn’t have a clue about the
most elementary logic.

<<<<I'd suggest you take some courses in
human biology, since the above two questions reflect a total lack of
knowledge about the subject.

<snip hero-worship of the uncertified quack Breggin>>>>

The type of response you’d expect from someone who can’t
support an argument.
DOQ