[Marxism] Time to move on

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Fri May 7 20:39:58 MDT 2004

From:           	Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>

> David wrote:
> >The other interesting point that Lou's inadvertently raises is
what
> >exactly is schizophrenia? Laypeople, with not real knowledge of
> >labeling for schizophenia, commonly associates the 'disorder'
with
> >hearing voices and delusions.
>
> This is starting to take us away from the agenda of Marxmail. I
suggest
> that anybody who wants to have a final say on the question do
so and then
> we move on. I myself have said everything I wanted to say.

Here's my final say too, Lou.

(1) Is the response below your way of taking the high moral
ground:" I am too worthy to answer you"?

(2) Alternatively, is it that you haven't got a clue about what
psychiatry is really about, but would rather not not acknowledge
this openly on the list?

(3) Or is this just an evasive way of getting out of an debate that
you know you won't win?

(I suppose question 2 and 3 are essentially asking the same
thing...)

I'm also curious to know, since I've been a victim of it myself, where
you feel Marxists should stand on the issue of psychiatric
oppression? I actually think this is quite revelant to Marxism and
thus the "agenda of Marxmail".

-- Some common forms of psychiatric oppression currently
practiced:

(1) forced drugging -- be for it or against it?

(2) exlectroconvulsive shock "therapy" [sic!] -- be for it or
	against it?

(3) Forced institutionalization (one might think this is essentially
synonymous with force drugging, but in fact one can now receive a
court order to take medication, without actually being locked up) --
be for it or against it?

(4) Civil rights protections for persons institutionalized in mental
institutions -- be for it or against it?

-- Some additional concerns raised by activists opposed to
psychiatric abuses:

(5) Transparency on all of the known side-effects of psychiatric
medications --be for it or against it?

(6) Forced drugging of children -- be for it or against it (this topic
should obviously fall within the category of psychiatric oppression,
although since children are deemed to be property of their parents,
I distinguish it from the other forms)?

I obviously don't expect an answer from you of any of the questions
 raised since as you say, you "have said everything [you] wanted
to say"  and "we [must] move on".

DOQ