[Marxism] Emmett Till

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue May 11 09:22:20 MDT 2004

NY Times, May 11, 2004
U.S. Reopens '55 Murder Case, Flashpoint of Civil Rights Era
By ERIC LICHTBLAU and ANDREW JACOBS

WASHINGTON, May 10 — Nearly a half-century after the brutal killing of
Emmett Till, a 14-year-old black youth, in Mississippi provided a
flashpoint in the civil rights movement, the Justice Department said
Monday that it was opening a criminal investigation into the case in
light of new evidence.

In a surprise announcement, prosecutors said information uncovered in
the filming of two documentaries on the 1955 killing suggested that
people besides the two original suspects may have been involved.

"We owe it to Emmett Till, we owe it to his mother and to his family,
and we owe it to ourselves to see if, after all these years, any
additional measure of justice is still possible," said R. Alexander
Acosta, assistant attorney general for civil rights at the Justice
Department.

full: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/11/national/11TILL.html

===

In the summer of 1955 a 14 year old African-American from Chicago went
to visit his uncle Moses Wright in the Mississippi delta, where he eked
out a living picking cotton. Emmett's mother Mamie Till, who died
recently, warned him not to look at white women there and to get off the
sidewalk if he saw one approaching.

Born in 1941, Emmett Till was a high-spirited youth with none of the
submissive attitudes associated with growing up in the South. But he
made a fatal mistake. When in the nearby village of Money, Mississippi
to buy a soft drink at Roy Bryant's grocery store, he whistled at the
man's wife.

That night Bryant and his hulking brother-in-law J. W. Milam descended
on the Wright household and seized Emmett Till at gunpoint. They drove
him back to their own place and beat him beyond recognition. They then
drove him to the nearby Tallahatchie River, tied a heavy cotton gin fan
around his neck with barbed wire, and threw him in the water. But only
after firing a bullet into his head--he was still alive at this point.

full: http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/race/Till_Rustin.htm

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org