[Marxism] Abraham Lincoln on War and Corporate-Enthronement

Burkhart aikidosphere at earthlink.net
Wed May 12 00:47:25 MDT 2004

"As a result of the war corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow"

More of the quote:

"We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end. It has cost a vast mount of treasure
and blood.... It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching
that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war corporations
have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country
will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in
a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country
than ever before, even in the midst of war."

-- Abraham Lincoln, letter to William F. Elkins, Nov 21, 1864.

If corporations are so powerful, why don't we cleverly exploit them for progressive change?

My essay at http://tinyurl.com/38gtl contains a section of quotes such as the one above from ole' Honest Abe and
Thomas Jefferson, et al., supporting elements of the thesis I present on Aikido Activism -- a way to
leverage corporate power towards progress.