[Marxism] U.S. Claims it never detained Berg

srobin21 at comcast.net srobin21 at comcast.net
Wed May 12 10:20:17 MDT 2004

Note: I smell cover-up here.  It may well be that Berg was detained by contractors. One wonders whether there is now a U.S. policy against American citizens not attached to the military or a contractor being present in Iraq. It would make sense of Berg's detention ... Steve

U.S. Claims It Never Detained Beheading Victim
Family Angry With U.S. Government Over Man's Decapitation

 http://www.thehometownchannel.com/news/3295422/detail.html

Coalition spokesman Dan Senor said Berg was never in U.S. custody. But he said Berg had been detained for a time by Iraqi police in the northern city of Mosul. Senor said the FBI met with Berg several times to find out what he was doing in Iraq.

Senor said as far as he knows, Berg was never "under the jurisdiction or detention of coalition forces." Asked for details about Berg's last weeks in Iraq, Senor said officials are trying to "piece all this together."

Nick Berg's father, Michael Berg, is putting some of the blame for his son's death at the feet of the U.S. government.

He said his son might have been able to leave the country before the violence worsened had he not been held for so long.

Michael Berg has said that at some point during his son's 13-day detention, U.S. officials had taken custody of him. He said his son wasn't allowed to make phone calls or contact a lawyer.

Michael Berg his son might still be alive if he hadn't been detained by U.S. officials in Iraq without being charged and without access to a lawyer.

Nick Berg was a 26-year-old contractor in Iraq helping to build communications antennas.

Michael Berg said Nick Berg was detained by U.S. officials for almost two weeks in March and April. He later told his parents he was not mistreated.

Berg's parents last heard from their son April 9, when he said he planned to come home. They learned Monday he was dead, and found out Tuesday that a video of his execution by militants was on the Internet.

The executioners said Berg was killed in revenge for the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by American soldiers.

Nick Berg's father said his son's killers probably knew he was Jewish.

The video showed five men wearing headscarves and black ski masks standing over a bound man in an orange jumpsuit.

"My name is Nick Berg, my father's name is Michael, my mother's name is Suzanne," he said on the video before being killed. "I have a brother and sister, David and Sara. I live in ... Philadelphia."

After reading a statement, the men were seen pulling the man to his side and cutting off his head with a large knife. They then held the head out before the camera.

The video also contained threats against President George W. Bush and Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf.
 - - - - – ------------------------
Suzanne Berg said her son had traveled to Iraq to help rebuild the country. He planned to return to the United States on March 30 because he couldn't find work. But instead, he sent word he had been jailed by Iraqi officials in Mosul.

The Bergs said they were then questioned by the FBI about why their son was in Iraq. And the family filed suit in April, charging their son was being held illegally by the U.S. military. He was released the next day.

His body was found Saturday on a bridge in Baghdad.

His body is being sent back to the United States.

A U.S. military spokesman told The Associated Press that Nick Berg's body left Kuwait aboard an Air Force plane Tuesday night. The body is expected Wednesday at a base in Dover, Del.

- - – –

Official: Berg Had Been Warned To Leave
A U.S. official said Nick Berg had been warned to leave the country, but he refused.

The official, who spoke on the condition that he not be identified, said Berg was in Iraq "of his own accord." The official promises more information later.

Berg was the owner of a small telecommunications business.