[Marxism] Bloggers doubt Berg execution video authenticity

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 10:47:32 MDT 2004

Tony wrote:

>Why was Nick Berg wandering around in Iraq?  The most plausible reason is
>just that he was an ideologically blinded dummy

>What is more likely is just that he managed to get into Iraq as a wanderer
>talking good bs, but then got picked up and interrogated as to what the
>hell he thought he was doing?  And what the US fears most, are freelance
>reporters that might divulge some of the truth about American activities to
>the rest of the world.

Why not go with the simplest explanation which is the one his family tells -
he was a small businessman who couldn't get enough work in the U.S. (like
millions of others) so he went to Iraq to try to get business (i.e., a job)
there?

Then in another post we have this:

>Other net-surfers point to the unlikely timing of the executioner's dubbed
>announcement that Berg was to die for "Iraqi prisoner abuse".

>Berg was last seen alive on 10 April, when his father Michael Berg believes
>he was killed - two weeks before the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal
>broke in the world's media.

The date of Berg's death is not known, but the abuse of prisoners in Iraq
was well known to Iraqis, and to those of us who get our news from
progressive media (or even non-U.S. media) LONG before April 10.

I'm not saying there isn't some possibility that there isn't something more
sinister going on here, but there certainly is no reason to believe such a
thing is likely.