[Marxism] The most compelling reason to vote for Nader

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 13 11:29:10 MDT 2004

Vanity Fair, May 2004

Unsafe On Any Ballot
By Christopher Hitchens

Democrats are furious that Ralph Nader, whose last presidential bid
helped put George W. Bush in office, is running again. Equally
dismaying, the author finds, is Nader’s backing from a crackpot group
with ties to Pat Buchanan, Lyndon LaRouche, and Louis Farrakhan

For me, it was all over as soon as it began. The day after he announced
himself as a candidate for president on Meet the Press, Ralph Nader held
a press conference at which he said, “I think this may be the only
candidacy in our memory that is opposed overwhelmingly by people who
agree with us on the issues.”

Hold it right there, Ralph. First, don’t you realize that politicians
who start to refer to themselves in the plural, as in the royal “we,”
are often manifesting an alarming symptom? (Mrs. Margaret Thatcher
started to employ this distressing locution shortly before the members
of her own Cabinet began to stir nervously and finally decided to call
for the men in white coats.) Second, if by “we” and “us” you really
meant to say yourself and your allies in this enterprise, then you
should not complain if it’s pointed out who those allies actually turn
out to be. Third, by stating that your campaign is “opposed
overwhelmingly by people who agree with us on the issues,” do you mean
to imply the corollary, which is that you will appeal to those who don’t
agree with you on the issues?

(clip)

And a slight secret about Ralph Nader is the extent of his conservatism.
The last time I saw him up close, he was the guest at Grover Norquist’s
now famous “Wednesday Morning” gathering, where Washington’s disparate
conservative groups meet—by invitation only, and off the record—under
one ceiling. He gave them a sincere talking-to, pointing out that their
favorite system—free market capitalism—was undermining their professedly
favorite values. I remember particularly how he listed the businessmen
who make money by piping cable porn into hotel rooms. (He rolled this
out again on Meet the Press.)

Nader was the only serious candidate in the last presidential election
who had favored the impeachment, on moral and ethical grounds, of Bill
Clinton. When asked about his stand on gay and transgender rights and
all that, he responds gruffly that he isn’t much interested in “gonadal
politics.”

He has often made a united front with conservatives like Norquist, and
even more right-wing individuals like Paul Weyrich, on matters such as
term limits and congressional pay raises. When I asked Grover about
Ralph’s prospects of attracting Republicans, incidentally, he told me
that he thought a Nader campaign just might appeal to some of the former
Buchanan wing—anti-trade and anti-interventionist (not to forget
anti-immigrant). So Nader and Buchanan might as well run for each
other’s votes, or skip all that and just take in each other’s washing.

full: http://www.ex-iwp.org/docs/2004/vanity_fair.htm

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org