[Marxism] Question for Carrol

Jack F. Vogel jfv at trane.bluesong.net
Thu May 13 22:58:05 MDT 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 09:58:18PM -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:

> The fundamental implicit assumption of the mass of u.s. citizens in the
> "goodness" of u.s. intentions will not be changed merely by information,
> even if blared in the headlines. Facts simply do not interpret
> themselves, and facts that clash with basic assumptions are ignored or
> explained away _except_ when people find themselves engaged in political
> practice that demands a fresh look at the facts.
>
> Exposes will not do the anti-war movement's work for it.

Carrol,

	I'd like to hear more thoughts on this issue, or at least
a pointer on where to go read more on the matter.
	Many philosophical currents would agree that "facts do not
interpret themselves", or they might say there are no facts, I am
reminded of someone like Quine or Sellars.
	To me understanding this is the whole deal, and I certainly
dont feel like I have 'the answer'. What does 'interpret' the facts?
What does 'political practice' mean?

I'm addressing this to Carrol but would be happy to hear anyone's
thoughts on the topic.

Solidarity,

Jack