[Marxism] Dead wood

Zak McGregor zak at mighty.co.za
Fri May 14 09:30:39 MDT 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004 08:02:58 -0700 (PDT)
Adam Levenstein <cleon42 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
> > You also might want to check into google mail, which is
> > forthcoming. It will give you a one gigabyte (!) disk space
> > allocation.
> > That should allow for at least a week's worth of Marxmail. ;-)
>
> While I'm psyched about GoogleMail, before people immediately sign up
> be SURE TO READ THEIR PRIVACY POLICY. The idea, last time I checked, is
> that they reserve the right to read your email; the goal being to use a
> Google-like engine to supply ads (a la Yahoo), but comrades concerned
> about security issues might not take too kindly to that.

Not to mention that their data is warehoused by a US company on US soil &
subject to the full extent of US intrusion within those parameters. I suspect
that Google would have no choice but to comply with, for instance, a court order
to release person X's emails. I myself would be very wary of any remote mail
facility that is in US territory. I'd suggest finding a free email provider that
allows POP3 access if you can.