[Marxism] Left Hook Latest Release Online

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Fri May 14 11:28:28 MDT 2004

Left Hook

www.lefthook.org

Last Release: Sunday, May 14, 2004

Left Hook Summer Fund Drive

May marks the sixth full month of the Left Hook project, as well as the
beginning of our first Summer Fund Drive. In the past half-year, Left
Hook has enjoyed considerable success in increasing and broadening its
recognition, readership and participants...

But as an ambitious and regularly updated online journal Left Hook
requires constant editing, reviewing, writing, upgrading, technical
work, and outreach - and as a relatively new youth journal - this has
all been done so far by no more than two (of the three) editors at any
given time, due to the constraints and demands of school, work, and of
course, activism. To help ease these burdens and to continue our efforts
and expand our reach, we need your financial support.

- (Read full) http://lefthook.org/Callforsupport.html

| Donate: http://lefthook.org/Donations.html

Class Struggle on Campus: Victory to the Columbia University graduate
strikers!

| Derek Seidman |

On Thursday, May 6, over 300 striking graduate students and their
supporters rallied at Columbia University, marching through campus with
resounding chants and makeshift drums thumping away. The atmosphere was
all the more festive with the show of solidarity by other unions,
including a diverse contingent, forty strong, of TWU local 241,
Columbia's Facilities Management. Chants and slogans such as "Union
Now", "UAW on strike for recognition", and "The unions united will never
be defeated" were complimented by creative pickets, such as "Philosophy
Hall on strike-Derridians make the différence". Students marched through
some of the same areas and building where, only about 35 years ago, the
most historic student occupations of the Sixties had taken place.

- (Read full) http://lefthook.org/Ground/Seidman051404.html

A Marxist Critique of 'Third World Postmodernism': Part One

| Keith Rosenthal |

...it is quite infantile to completely write-off the struggles of
workers against global capitalism as, at best, irrelevant. Esteva and
Prakash write, "Strikes and struggles like those of the French workers,
however, are only brakes designed to slow down the pace of
transformation or to reduce the damage of the 'Global Project'. They are
not challenging the project itself, or its foundations, but, instead,
the way in which it is being implemented or its unequal benefits and
impacts." 15 Later, the two neo-postmodernists go on to say that
workers' resistance actually buttress the capitalist state by putting
demands upon it, thereby strengthening its "centrality" to the lives of
workers. 16 As if indigenous peoples demanding "autonomous recognition"
from the state does not ask something of it; as if demanding better
sanitation, health, education, jobs (as the Zapatistas initially did)
from the state could be anything more than brakes on the 'Global
Project'; as if carving out "postmodern spaces" while explicitly
refusing to do a thing about the real, military, economic, and political
power of global capitalism will accomplish anything but complicity to
its continuation.

- (Read full) http://lefthook.org/History/Rosenthal051404.html

Supporting State Terror in Uruguay and Chile and the Movement to Stop
It: A Look Back

| Peter Brogan |

Brazil recently marked the 40th anniversary of its 1964 coup which
brought to power and ushered in a wave of unique military dictatorship
in the Southern Cone of South America. In this article I will discuss
the other two military dictatorships in this region, Chile and Uruguay
in the 1970s, focusing on the role of U.S. support, especially in the
way of economic and military assistance, which I will argue played an
instrumental role in sustaining these two regimes in their terrorizing
of their populations. Together with a vast network of client states,
these two Bureaucratic Authoritarian (BA) regimes constituted in part
what Edward Herman calls the "real terror network." I am particularly
concerned here with how effective the movements that opposed the brutal
and systematic violations of human rights committed by these two regimes
were in pressuring the United States to put a stop to these policies.

- (Read full) http://lefthook.org/History/Brogan051404.html

The Longer View: Conondrums of a Civilizing Mission

| M. Junaid Alam |

Today, the utter and total failure of the American colonizing project in
Iraq is clear to all. The brutal and sadistic treatment of Iraqi
prisoners by US soldiers, the Fallujah massacre, intensified and growing
armed resistance among both Sunnis and Shias, and the utter failure to
rebuild Iraqi infrastructure have given us ample proof of this. But the
crimes and atrocities of the occupation are neither "unprecedented" or
"shocking" as the liberal pundits would have us believe. In fact, even a
year ago - long before the arrogant Donald Rumsfeld was reduced to
parading through the infamous Abu Ghraib prison-complex in an
Israeli-made armored car to try to save his career - it was clear that
the US would only "instill" barbarism and chaos. That argument was laid
out exactly a year ago in the form of The Longer View: Conondrums of A
Civilizing Mission, and we reprint it below.

- (Read full) http://lefthook.org/History/Alam051404.html