[Marxism] Traveling with Chairman Avakian

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 14 12:31:06 MDT 2004

There was a split in RU prior to the development of the New Communist
Movement of the '70s, when H. Bruce Franklin split with Avakian, and he
split on the grounds of what he thought to be adoption of a racism
political line. (Vaguely remembered personal conversation with Bruce at
an MLA converence.)

Bruce is author, among other many other books, of the classic study of
u.s. political culture, _M.I.A.: or Mythmaking in America_.

I would put Bruce's political judgment ahead of Avakian's any time.

Carrol