[Marxism] looking for general guidance: class analysis of today's society; practice-theory

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat May 15 09:26:38 MDT 2004

DJ Dialectic wrote:

>1)  marxist (not weberian) class analysis of today's society
>I recently read zizek saying that the two common answers as to today's proletariat composition--intellectual workers or real production in 3rd world--is too simple, and regardless of what else i think of zizek, i think he's right about that.  who is dealing with pressing problems such as these?  what can we be studying today to answer these questions?

Mike Davis  has an interesting analysis. He argues that Marxism has
failed to give proper due to a class formation that has been described
as "lumpen" in the past. These are the pauperized, former peasants who
are forced to the slums of the big cities of the South but who gravitate
toward Islam or other non-Marxist ideologies. His NLR article titled
"Planet of Slums"  is at:

http://www.newleftreview.net/NLR26001.shtml

>2)  how can i test the theory i am learning? (specifically considering that i'm one person or will be working with a small group)  what should one do?

Make a revolution?

Monthly Review: http://www.monthlyreview.org/

James Petras's website: http://www.rebelion.org/

Cultural Logic: http://eserver.org/clogic/