[Marxism] Seymour M. Hersh Unveils Secret Rumsfield Torture Policies

Tony Abdo gojack10 at hotmail.com
Sat May 15 19:32:09 MDT 2004

THE GRAY ZONE
by SEYMOUR M. HERSH
How a secret Pentagon program came to Abu Ghraib.
Issue of 2004-05-24

The roots of the Abu Ghraib prison scandal lie not in the criminal
inclinations of a few Army reservists but in a decision, approved last year
by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, to expand a highly secret
operation, which had been focussed on the hunt for Al Qaeda, to the
interrogation of prisoners in Iraq. Rumsfeld’s decision embittered the
American intelligence community, damaged the effectiveness of élite combat
units, and hurt America’s prospects in the war on terror.

According to interviews with several past and present American intelligence
officials, the Pentagon’s operation, known inside the intelligence community
by several code words, including Copper Green, encouraged physical coercion
and sexual humiliation of Iraqi prisoners in an effort to generate more
intelligence about the growing insurgency in Iraq. A senior C.I.A. official,
in confirming the details of this account last week, said that the operation
stemmed from Rumsfeld’s long-standing desire to wrest control of America’s
clandestine and paramilitary operations from the C.I.A.

http://newyorker.com/printable/?fact/040524fa_fact