[Marxism] Thoughts on Iraq situation

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sun May 16 18:48:35 MDT 2004

I fell somewhat presumptuous posting this.  My information on Iraq is all
second or third hand.  I am especially indebted to the usual suspects -
Juan Cole's column, reports at Al Jazeera, debka.com and the Guardian.  But
I am still convinced that we are witnessing the Achjilles Heel of
Imperialism being attacked relentlessly, and that by itself is worth
commenting on.  For the Iraqi resistance is changing the world as we
watch.  For example my students in my classes have almost overwhelmingly
turned anti-Bush and none of them are radical or even particularly
political.  The vast majority for instance also believed in the WMD story.

It is all about windows of opportunity - rare, very rare.  American
politics do not at the moment permit the Bush team to do what is needed
militarily - institute the draft and send 500,000 + troops to Iraq.  After
November they will do that, I have no doubt.  Nor do I doubt that it is
now  most likely that it will be a Democratic President who will crank up
the war effort.

So the Iraqi resistance has until November to strike some decisive
blows.  But for Al-Sistani and Al-Hakim the Shia would have joined al-Sadr
and the position of the Coalition would have been militarily untenable.
However it is not that al-Sistani and al-Hakim have not joined the revolt,
it is that they have been actually propping up the coalition.

Here the role of the Iranians has been decisive.  Ever since the
promulgation of the Axis of Evil doctrine the Iranians have been anxious to
get their names of the hit-list.  They even attempted to link up with Colin
Powell, and help isolate even further al-Sadr's militia.  But now the
continued push against the holy cities of Kerbala and Najaf has forced the
Iranian leader Al Khamenei to utter a protest.  I wonder though if it is
simply a sop to his critics.

Decisive action by Iran would make the American position critical if not
terminal.  This would be the most important victory over Imperialism.  Why
won't they do It?  Why won't they all join in and push the Americans out of
Iraq?

Well of course the answer is a simple one.  The Iraq and the Arab world
that would result from the defeat of imperialism would be one where the
likes of al-Sistani and al-Hakim would be lucky to survive.  So they
hesitate, prevaricate and manoeuvre in the corridors of impotence.  In the
meantime the resistance and the suffering continue.

Dr Gary MacLennan
Lecturer
Film & Television Discipline
Creative Industries Faculty