[Marxism] Topping the Islamic Transitional State of Afghanistan

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Wed May 19 17:35:29 MDT 2004

That looks like a new male version of that good ol' Aqua hit, "Barbie girl",
remember that one ?

I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic!
you can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation
Come on Barbie, let's go party!
I'm a blonde single girl, in a fantasy world
Dress me up, make it tight, I'm your dolly
You're my doll, rock'n'roll, feel the glamour in pink,
kiss me here, touch me there, hanky panky...
You can touch, you can play, if you say: "I'm always yours"
Come on Barbie, let's go party!
(Ah-ah-ah-yeah)
Oh, I'm having so much fun!
Well Barbie, we're just getting started.

While I am not a Marxist, when only the extremely rich can afford to buy the
most elegant and daring designer dolls, it makes me want to stand up for the
rights of the proletariat and declare social anarchy just to get the dolls I
want.  Wasn't it Marie Antoinette who said "Let them have Barbies?"
http://members.aol.com/j9hallg/his.htm

In the early 1950s, Handler saw that her young daughter, Barbara, and her
girlfriends enjoyed playing with adult female dolls as much or more than
with baby dolls. Handler sensed that it was just as important for girls to
imagine what they themselves might grow up to become as it was for them to
focus on what caring for children might be like. Because all the adult dolls
then available were made of paper or cardboard, Handler decided to create a
three-dimensional adult female doll, one lifelike enough to serve as an
inspiration for her daughter's dreams of her future. Handler took her idea
to the ad executives at Mattel Corp., the company that she and her husband,
Elliot, had founded in their garage some years before: the (all-male)
committee rejected the idea as too expensive, and with little potential for
wide market appeal. Soon thereafter, Handler returned from a trip to Europe
with a "Lilli" doll, modeled after a character in a German comic strip.
Handler spent some time designing a doll similar to Lilli, and even hired a
designer to make realistic doll clothes. The result was the Barbie doll
(named in honor of the Handlers' daughter), a pint-sized model of the "girl
next door." Mattel finally agreed to back Handler's efforts; and the Barbie
doll debuted at the American Toy Fair in New York City in 1959. Girls
clamored for the doll, and Barbie set a new sales record for Mattel its
first year on the market (351,000 dolls, at $3 each). Since then, Barbie's
popularity has rarely flagged; and today, with over one billion dolls sold,
the Barbie product line is the most successful in the history of the toy
industry. http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/story081.htm
Barbie Doll
By Marge Piercy

This girlchild was born as usual
and presented dolls that did pee-pee
and miniature GE stoves and irons
and wee lipsticks the color of cherry candy.
Then in the magic of puberty, a classmate said:
You have a great big nose and fat legs.
She was healthy, tested intelligent,
possessed strong arms and back,
abundant sexual drive and manual dexterity.
She went to and fro apologizing.
Everyone saw a fat nose on thick legs.
She was advised to play coy,
exhorted to come on hearty,
exercise, diet, smile and wheedle.
Her good nature wore out
like a fan belt.
So she cut off her nose and her legs
and offered them up.
In the casket displayed on satin she lay
with the undertaker's cosmetics painted on,
a turned-up putty nose,
dressed in a pink and white nightie.
Doesn't she look pretty? everyone said.
Consummation at last.
To every woman a happy ending.
http://www.lydbury.co.uk/discus/messages/12/5438.html?1049750448

MOSCOW NOV. 17, 2002. Russian authorities may ban the famous Barbie dolls
along with a range of other toys suspected of damaging children's psyche.
The venerable Barbie doll is a prime target in a war declared by the Russian
Education Ministry against toys that "provoke aggression, fear and premature
sexuality'' among children. Russian experts have found that Barbie affects
the psychology of small girls, making them pretentious, indifferent and
sexually aware. ``Girls who play with Barbie dolls start feeling like
grownup women who buy fancy dresses and posh furniture,'' said Natalya
Grishayeva, psychologist. "As they grow up the girls also tend to develop an
inferiority complex if  they can't look exactly like the Barbie doll.''
Barbie has been a smash success in Russia since it opened its market to
imports ten years ago. Russian shops today offer a wide range of
foreign-made toys, some of which are feared to be harmful to children's
tender souls. The Education Ministry now wants to rebuild a system of
stringent controls over the quality of toys that existed in the Soviet Union
but fell apart after its collapse.
http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/6558.htm