[Marxism] Boy tortured to break father's resistance - soldier threatened for revealing abuse

lshan at bcn.net lshan at bcn.net
Thu May 20 09:51:39 MDT 2004

The 16-year-old son of a detainee [at Abu Ghraib] was abused by U.S.
soldiers in order to break his father's resistance to interrogators.
Provance said he escorted the boy from the interrogation cell block to the
prison's general population immediately after the encounter between the
teenager and his father.

"This kid was so frail. He was shaking like a leaf," Provance said. "He said
he was glad we had come there (to topple Saddam Hussein's government) but he
didn't understand all these raids, all that we were doing to him."

Provance added that he urged the interrogators not to put the teenager in
among the prison's unruly, poorly supervised general population, which
included many hardened criminals. But Provance said he was rebuffed.

Provance said he described the abuse of the prisoner's son and other
incidents he learned of to investigators, mostly recently in an interview
earlier this month with Maj. Gen. George Fay, who is overseeing the army's
investigation of military intelligence officials' involvement in prisoner
abuse.

Provance said that he became concerned that military officials were trying
to cover up the role of military intelligence officials in prisoner
mistreatment after receiving written instructions shortly after the
interview with Fay telling him not to discuss anything that happened at Abu
Ghraib.

[THE NEXT PARAGRAPH SAYS THAT IF SOLDIERS TESTIFY NOW THEY WILL BE PUNISHED
FOR FAILURE TO TESTIFY EARLIER!]

In addition, Provance said, Fay warned him that the general would likely
recommend administrative action against him for not reporting abuses before
his first sworn statement, made in January after criminal investigators
opened a case against MPs at the prison. The administrative action would
effectively bar future promotions for Provance.

"I felt like I was being punished for being honest," Provance said.

An Army official said it was routine procedure for military investigators to
instruct witnesses not to discuss events that are under examination.

Provance said he questioned treatment of prisoners several times last fall
without effect.

"I would voice my opinion...and they would say `What do you know. You're a
system administrator,' " Provance said. Among the interrogators, "there's a
certain cockiness," he added.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/world/8707235.htm
_____

from Brian Shannon