[Marxism] Barbie

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Fri May 21 06:34:31 MDT 2004

Obviously I am not a fan of Klaus Barbie, I was talking about the Barbie
doll debate. When I was in Morocco, I was reading an article by Maureen Dowd
in the IHT about Barbie dolls. Specifically, the Saudi Commission for the
Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice had warned that these "Jewish"
dolls - banned in Saudi Arabia for a decade - are a threat to Islam. The
Associated Press then reported that a message posted on the religious
police's Web site chided: "Jewish Barbie dolls, with their revealing clothes
and shameful postures, accessories and tools are a symbol of decadence to
the perverted West. Let us beware of her dangers and be careful." So even a
bit of plastic can be a source of political dispute.

Jurriaan

And if i'm acting like a king
I said well, i'm a human being
And if i want too many things
Don't you know that i'm a human being
And if i've got to dream
Baby baby, i'm a human being
And when it gets a bit obscene (wooah)
I'm a human being
And i've got to go around with my head hung down
Just like a human being
We're all just human being
And i can hold my head so high
Cause i'm a human, a first class human being

- "Human being", by the New York Dolls, from "Too much too soon" album