[Marxism] looking for general guidance: class analysis of today'ssociety...

DLVinvest at cs.com DLVinvest at cs.com
Fri May 21 16:43:52 MDT 2004

In a message dated 5/15/04 12:37:46 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
cbcox at ilstu.edu writes:
> My sense of the difference between weberian &marxian approaches to
> class is that for the former "classes" are boxes into which one puts
> different colored marbles, while for the latter class is a relationship,
> not a collection of persons. The weberian, therefore, can arrive at
> class analysis by describing the features or activities of those who
> make up the class, while the marxist must focus on the structure (or
> more accurately, dynamic, since we are dealing with process) of the
> entire social order which constitutes the classes which constitute it.

see also Alan Gilbert, Marx's Politics: Communists & Citizens [how Marx's
theory guided practice in building class consciousness and alliances; how
experience in practice hled to refinements in theory], On Democratic Indviduality
[critique of Weber/ application of Marx' to questions of class and identity], and
Must Globalism Constrain Democracy? [critique of bourgeois realists in
international political theory/ support for internationalism and proletarian
solidarity]
Douglas L. Vaughan, Jr.
Investigations
for Print, Film & Electronic Media