[Marxism] Fwd: Moore turns up heat on White House / By Charlotte Higgins in Cannes / Agence France Presse, The Guardian / May 18, 2004

paul bunyan cutemdown2003 at yahoo.com
Sat May 22 09:49:53 MDT 2004

Subject:  Moore turns up heat on White House / By Charlotte Higgins in Cannes / Agence France Presse, The Guardian / May 18, 2004

Moore turns up heat on White House
By Charlotte Higgins in Cannes
May 18, 2004

Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 is without doubt the film the Cannes film festival crowds all want to see. And with good reason, because Moore hopes it will bring down the US Government.

The American film-maker has hitherto kept a tight lid on the contents of the documentary, and said only that it includes evidence of links between the Bush and bin Laden families.

However, in two appearances in Cannes at the weekend before its premiere yesterday, he revealed that the movie contains shocking footage from Iraq.

He said: "When you see the movie you will see things you have never seen before. You will learn things you have never known before.

"Half the movie is about Iraq. We were able to get film crews embedded with American troops without them knowing that it was Michael Moore. They are totally f---ed.

"The film is only partly to do with the bin Ladens and Bush. I was able to send three different freelance film crews to Iraq. Soldiers had written to me to express their disillusionment with the war. It's a case of our own troops not being in support of their commander-in-chief," Moore said on Saturday.

Reactions at the few low-key preview screenings that have already taken place in the midwest were "overwhelming".

He added: "People who were on the fence - undecided voters - suddenly
weren't on the fence any more."

Moore was enthusiastic about doing everything in his power to help defeat President George Bush in the election in November.

"We thought, 'We cannot leave this to the Democrats this time to f--k it up and lose'." He wanted to "inspire people to get up and vote in November".

Moore said the film was also a tool that would inspire US voters to remove "the dumbest man who ever ran for the presidency" and overturn foreign policies that had created "a lot of havoc in the world". He alleged that the White House was behind a campaign to stop the film from being distributed in the US before the election. An unnamed senior Republican politician, "someone connected to the White House", telephoned companies that bankrolled the film to get them to drop their commitments to it, he said.

The Disney corporation has reneged on a distribution deal for the film.  He vowed that Americans would see the documentary soon. "I want this film out and I want it out this summer. After, I'll have things to say," he said.  Moore's position has not met with universal sympathy. A piece in the Los Angeles Times last week accused his last film, Bowling for Columbine, of being "a torrent of partial truths, pointed omissions and deliberate misimpressions".

He said he was prepared for a backlash by some Americans, but claimed he was "the most patriotic American" because he believes in the US's founding principles."One of those principles is that you do not invade another country that is not invading you. "Only people who are un-American would cover up the torture and abuse in Iraq." Moore is planning films "on the Israelis and Palestinians, and the oil industry and lack of oil we are going to be faced with".

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT