[Marxism] Re: Che again

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Sat May 22 15:56:49 MDT 2004

     Am  22.05.04
schrieb  andromeda246 at hetnet.nl (Jurriaan Bendien)
    auf  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  000b01c43ff8$2e8e3f10$9600000a at jurriaan
  ueber  [Marxism] Che again

JB> You can say that nothing happened to Che on his motorcycle trip
JB> through Latin America... except that he got killed,

  Here it is again. It seems that you are lumping together thow very
distinct phases in Ernesto "Che" Guevara's life -- he made a trip thru
Latin America on a motorcycle _before_ he joined the Cuban revolution,
in the whereabouts of 1953 or 1954;

  He got killed in 1967 _after_ fighting in Cuba, assuming
responsabilites in the Cuban leadership and being released from them
and trying to start a continental revolutionary guerilla in Bolivia.
He did not go there by motorcycle, but by airoplane via Checoslovakia
and Brazil.

JB> and then the question arises whether taking that risk (i.e. moving
JB> about without any body guard, in his situation) was worth it.

  Well, he was his own body guard, you might say, with his own weapon,
plus the other comrades with him.

JB> Apart from that, I don't concern myself with "how to make a
JB> revolution", my understanding is that this is a pseudo-question.

  ???

JB> (possibly the "spiritual effect" he had, by far exceeded the real
JB> effect he had by his actions, and as I said I think many of his
JB> ventures just didn't have much tangible effect).

  Comparable to the effect which Marx and Engels had, right? What
"tangible effects" had their ventures?

JB> That aside, my interest is in how the Castro's government actually
JB> gave content to internationalism and international solidarity, the
JB> morality of it, and the specific policies of it.

  Well, that is a very abundant subject with no shortcomings at all.

Yours,

  "Nach meiner Ansicht besitzt die Presse _das_ _Recht_,
Schriftsteller, Politiker, Komödianten und andere öffentliche
Charaktere zu _beleidigen_. Achtete ich [so einen Angriff gegen mich]
einer Notiz wert, so galt mir in solchen Fällen der Wahlspruch: à
corsaire, corsaire et demi [auf einen Schelmen anderthalben]."
                  - Karl Marx   17.11.1860  (Herr Vogt, Kapitel XI)