[Marxism] African filmaker wins at Cannes

gdunkel at mindspring.com gdunkel at mindspring.com
Sun May 23 14:05:13 MDT 2004

One of my most favorite novels is Sembene's "Gods' bits of wood" (in
French, les bouts des bois des dieu) about the great West African
railroad strike of 1948.  This is considered such a classic of French
African literature that there are ponies for it.  A friend from Rwanda had to
read it in high school.  Every time I read it I am convinced it was written
from a class-struggle point of view.

I would heartily recommend it, along with any of his films.

/greg