[Marxism] Robert Redford

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue May 25 11:05:40 MDT 2004

Newsday, May 22, 2004, 10:20 PM EDT
Robert Redford criticizes war, promotes free speech at Bard College
Commencement

ANNADALE-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. (AP) _ Robert Redford told Bard College
graduates that America lied about reasons for going to war in an era in
which free speech is eroding.

Redford received a doctor of humane letters degree from the liberal arts
college during its 148th commencement Saturday. He told almost 400
graduating students and about 2,500 spectators that freedom of speech is
under siege.

He pointed to Walt Disney Co.'s refusal to distribute Michael Moore's
"Fahrenheit 9/11," a scathing documentary on President Bush, which won
the highest award at the Cannes Film Festival.

Redford said there is still something to be learned from the film "All
the President's Men," in which he portrayed Washington Post reporter Bob
Woodward, who helped uncover the Watergate scandal.

"What I realized is that many of the systems of checks and balances that
were in place then have now been infected by everything from media
consolidation to greed to limited ideologies and, worst of all, apathy,"
Redford said.

"There's an underlying lack of balance when those in power do not invite
debate, saying instead that we are somehow lesser Americans to question
their actions," he said. "There's something wrong when we're forced to
go to court for the release of information that should rightly be yours
in a democratic and free society."

Redford starred in "The Candidate," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
and "The Natural" and won an Academy Award for directing "Ordinary People."

Bard College is in Annandale-On-Hudson, 45 miles south of Albany.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org