[Marxism] Two, Three, or Many Oil Wars

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed May 26 19:05:13 MDT 2004

Mike Davis appears to believe that "the curve of global oil
production is indeed near the point of descent" and that Washington
has a foreign policy to match it, "a US master plan for the control
of oil in an age of diminishing supply and soaring prices," dictated
by narrow interests of corrupt oil men . . . Contrary to Davis's
view, it is probably the case that the glaring lack of coherent
foreign policy-making has made Washington fight two major oil wars at
the same time, against the interests of Washington's governing elite
themselves if not against those of oil men . . . Add Nigeria's labor
unrest, the growing Chinese economy's oil demands, and terrorist
attacks in Saudi Arabia to Iraq and Venezuela, and Washington has in
fact many oil wars on its hands. We may be closer to the hour of the
furnaces than we know, not because Washington has any master plan,
pace Davis, but in fact because its contradictory policy-making
without a master plan (except the single-minded determination to
always attack any gains made by the poor in any nation) has
inadvertently helped to initiate more oil wars than it can handle. .
. .

The rest of the posting at
<http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/05/two-three-or-many-oil-wars.html>.
--