[Marxism] Exchange on Venezuela

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 27 11:53:43 MDT 2004

CJR, May-June 2004
Did an acclaimed documentary about the 2002 coup in Venezuela tell the
whole story?
BY PHIL GUNSON

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Filmed and Directed by Kim Bartley and Donnacha O'Briain

In September 2001, two young Irish filmmakers, Kim Bartley and Donnacha
O’Briain, arrived in Venezuela with plans to make a low-budget,
fly-on-the-wall documentary about the country’s flamboyant president,
Hugo Chávez. A former army officer, Chávez had attempted a coup d’état
in 1992, spent a couple of years in jail, and was elected to the
presidency in 1998. His followers revere him as a revolutionary,
struggling to bring justice to the poor in the face of savage attacks
from a local oligarchy backed by Washington. His adversaries call him a
dangerous demagogue who has ruined the economy, polarized the nation,
and is steadily dismantling a forty-five-year-old democracy. Bartley and
O’Briain belong unabashedly in the former camp.

In today’s Venezuela, it is hard, if not impossible, to find an
impartial observer. Most of the country’s private news media have openly
joined the opposition. State radio and TV are crude cheerleaders for the
government. Bartley and O’Briain, however, while rightly criticizing the
former, ignore the sins of the latter.

Seven months into their project, persistence and good fortune brought a
scoop: they were inside the presidential palace when Chávez was ousted
by a military-civilian uprising. The resulting documentary —
underwritten by the BBC, Ireland’s RTE, and other European broadcasters
— is as thrilling a piece of political drama as you’re likely to see and
has won armfuls of prizes, including Britain’s top documentary award,
the Grierson. It has aired repeatedly all around the world, has been
shown in movie theaters and at film festivals, arguably becoming the
prevailing interpretation of the continuing Venezuelan political crisis.
The Chávez government, which had 20,000 copies made in Cuba, has been a
tireless promoter and distributor of the film.

“It is probably one of the best documentaries I have ever seen on
television, and undoubtedly one of the finest pieces of journalism
within living memory,” gushed Declan Lynch, a television critic for
Ireland’s Sunday Independent, in a fairly typical review of Chávez:
Inside the Coup. “The plot was classically simple: Chávez gets
democratically elected, to the chagrin of the evil oil-barons and their
good buddies in the Bush administration, who express ‘extreme concern’
that Chávez ‘doesn’t have America’s interest at heart.’ Chávez gets
ousted by these malign forces, spirited away amid scenes of chaos
orchestrated by them. But Santa María! his palace guards remain loyal,
and amid scenes of total consternation, Chávez is brought back, the coup
is declared null and void by the good guys on state television, and the
evil oil-barons flee to Miami, having duly emptied the safe in the palace.”

That engaging narrative is, unfortunately, somewhat at odds with the
complex, messy reality of April 2002, when a mass march on the
presidential palace in Caracas ended in a massacre and a short-lived
change of government. Bartley and O’Briain are entitled to their views,
but a close analysis of the film reveals something worse than political
naiveté. Constructing a false picture of a classic military coup devised
by an allegedly corrupt and racist oligarchy, they omit key facts,
invent others, twist the sequence of events to support their case, and
replace inconvenient images with others dredged from archives. (A
version of the film in Spanish is called La Revolucion No Sera
Transmitida: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.)

By the time of the coup, Venezuela had been embroiled for almost six
months in a severe political crisis. The lid blew off when Chávez moved
to rid the state oil corporation, Petróleos de Venezuela, of its top
managers and directors, whom he perceived as inimical to his self-styled
“revolution.” Chávez recently admitted that he deliberately provoked the
showdown: the result was that oil managers, business leaders, and large
segments of organized labor called a work stoppage, backed by millions
of Venezuelans, particularly the country’s increasingly impoverished
middle class. Disaffected military officers, angry at Chávez’s drive to
place the armed forces at the service of his political project, were
also involved.

full: http://www.cjr.org/issues/2004/3/gunson-docu.asp

===

Who's Right? The Filmmakers Respond
BY KIM BARTLEY AND DONNACHA O'BRIAIN

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Filmed and Directed by Kim Bartley and Donnacha O'Briain

Phil Gunson admits it is hard to find anyone in Venezuela today who is
balanced about the events of April 2002. He should include himself. The
key points he raises are themselves issues of dispute in Venezuela and
they continue to divide opinion. His criticisms are conveniently
identical to those outlined in a politically motivated petition against
our film, led by elements in the Venezuelan opposition, seemingly
determined to have the documentary discredited.

Gunson accuses us of propaganda and suggests that we failed to
understand the complexity of the Venezuelan situation. We spent nearly a
year in Venezuela researching and filming this documentary, and were
eyewitnesses to the coup.

Gunson may obsess about de-contextualized details. He fails, however, to
ask the key questions any journalist would ask:

Did elements in the military threaten force in the effort to make Chávez
resign? They did. Did Chávez resign? No. Were the people who illegally
seized power representative of some of the most retrograde political
tendencies in Venezuelan society? Yes they were. The first action of the
Carmona regime was to abolish the democratic institutions, including
parliament. These facts are simply glossed over, or worse, omitted by
Gunson. Some further points:

--The fact that not all the military were involved — as is the case with
most coups — is irrelevant. By late on the night of April 11, the coup
plotters did threaten to unleash an attack on the palace. The infamous
Vice Admiral Ramírez Pérez even stated that night, on privately owned
TV, that “Either he [Chávez] takes this opportunity, or we’ll launch a
military operation.” Were they bluffing? Who knows? Did those who
remained inside the palace fear an attack? Yes.

--The idea that Chávez supporters in 2002 were broadly poor and
dark-skinned and the opposition broadly white and middle class may seem
simplistic but it’s one we share with a number of commentators including
the Guardian newspaper (December 10, 2002), Professor Dan Hellinger of
Webster University in Missouri, and indeed Gunson himself. (See The
Christian Science Monitor, April 16, 2002.)

--On one of the most crucial events — the shootings of April 11 — Gunson
is guilty of omission and inaccuracy. Nowhere in the film did we say
that only chavistas were shot on April 11. Nobody can say with certainty
who orchestrated the shootings that day. Our focus, rather, was on the
way the private media rushed to judgment, without any corroboration,
stating as fact that the chavistas who were filmed on the Llaguno Bridge
were shooting at the opposition march. These alleged shooters
subsequently were tried in a court of law and absolved of all charges;
indeed the court established that they had been firing in self-defense
at snipers and police. This fact, important to any understanding of
these events, is conveniently omitted from Gunson’s article. That the
opposition march did not pass below the bridge is attested to by many
eyewitnesses, including the deputy editor of Le Monde Diplomatique, who
was on the bridge that day. The documentary Anatomy of a Coup, broadcast
on Australian TV (SBS) in October 2002, came to conclusions similar to
our own. Again these key testimonies are omitted from Gunson’s own
constructed narrative.

He tells us nothing of the evidence, commonly known and presented in the
same SBS documentary, which suggests that the violence that day was
provoked and choreographed. That documentary quotes a CNN correspondent
describing how on the evening of April 10 he was invited to film a press
conference at which Vice Admiral Ramírez Pérez denounced Chávez for the
deaths — this before the shootings had even taken place. (See also The
Battle of Venezuela, published by the Latin American Bureau)

As for Wolfgang Schalk’s so-called “shadow analysis”: it is surely not
insignificant that Schalk has led the well-resourced campaign, linked to
the Venezuelan opposition, to discredit and suppress our film. His claim
that the high shot of the empty street was filmed before the march ever
neared the palace is untrue. The footage is contemporaneous with the
exchange of fire between chavistas on the bridge and snipers and police.

Gunson goes to great length to suggest that we twist reality to fit a
pre-ordained theory. We reject this outright. Yes, a limited number of
recent archive images were used in the documentary to set the scene at
the pro- and anti-Chávez gatherings on the morning of April 11, before
the core narrative of the coup takes off. We could not be everywhere
filming at all times. But Gunson’s claim that we used archive shots to
deliberately mislead the audience is false and grotesque. It is easy to
cite a few isolated images out of context in an effort to discredit the
documentary as a whole, but in fact we present the reality as witnessed
by us and others and as supported by the facts.

That private, non-state-owned TV stations in Venezuela are unanimously
anti-Chávez is fact. On the night of the coup we were in the palace and
witnessed how Chávez’s ministers were prevented from broadcasting to the
nation because the government TV signal was taken off air.
Opposition-led forces did in fact take control of the station, a fact
corroborated by such bodies as the International Federation of Journalists.

We do not claim that our film is the definitive or only narrative of
what happened during the coup. It could not be. To suggest that it is
propaganda, however, tells us more, perhaps, about Gunson’s own
ideological prejudices than it does about what happened in Venezuela in
April 2002.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org