[Marxism] RE: Dialectics and Science- Reply to Rob

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Thu May 27 12:40:13 MDT 2004

In a message dated 5/27/2004 12:00:28 PM Central Standard Time,
calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com writes:

No one sensible would claim that dialectics is a crude schema
(thesis-antithesis-synthesis?) that we apply to reality to see how things develop. Only
science can show how things develop. What is thought if it is not scientific?  . .
. Hegel writes:

". .  .The demand of a priori knowledge, which seems to imply that the idea
should construct from itself, is thus a reconstruction only… In consciousness
it then adopts the attitude of having cut away the bridge from behind it; it
appears to be free to launch forth in its ether only, and to develop without
resistance to this medium; but it is another matter to attain to this ether and
development of it. (Hegel History of Philosophy 3: 176-77)"

Comment

The exposition of dialectics depended on ones target audience. Bertell
Ollman's "Dance of the Dialectic" is an excellent read but not meant for  . . . say
. . . my target audience. Bertell's footnotes are worth the price of this
book, but . . . at last , , , not meant for my particular target audience. If it
is the lower classes and more specifically the most impoverished sections of
society, its exposition by definition is schematic.

Unless one has discovered another method of exposition that allows for
spontaneous assimilation of the science of society. We most certainly follow in the
footsteps of Engels presentations of dialectics for an English speaking
audience and use "thesis-antithesis-synthesis."

One should never forget their intellectual awakening to dialectics. Dogmatism
is the inevitable result of mass assimilation and the creativity comes much
later.

Marx wrote in the Holy Family that the proletariat abolishes philosophy.

Abolishes philosophy  . . . not take philosophy to a "higher level" or
reaffirm philosophy on a new basis.

Abolishes philosophy!

Before the emergence of philosophy in human history man has cognitive
functioning and with this the power of observation. Marx expositions are fine and
indispensable. What he possessed is an acute power of observation.

The proletariat abolishes philosophy according to Marx.

Food for thought.

Melvin P.