[Marxism] Letter to Editor of "New York Times" on Che Guevara's "Motorcycle Diaries"

Ocean Press edit at oceanpress.com.au
Thu May 27 17:09:27 MDT 2004

May 26, 2004

Dear Editor,

As the international publisher of the book "The Motorcycle Diaries" by
Ernesto Che Guevara, I was somewhat mystified by Larry Rohter's "Che
Today?" (May 26, 2004) and references to its "suppression" in Cuba.

The book has in fact been published in Cuba -- one edition published by
the publishing house of the Union of Young Communists. A further edition
is to be published in Cuba next month by the Che Guevara Studies Center,
and our publishing house is assisting in the publication of this new,
expanded edition.

There was no conspiracy in Cuba to hide this book or prevent its
publication. Having been personally involved in this and similar Che
Guevara book projects in Cuba for more than twenty years I can testify
that there is no conspiracy to prohibit the publication in Cuba of this
or any other book by Che Guevara. In fact, the opposite is the case. The
books are published with the support and enthusiasm of those who knew
and collaborated with Che Guevara. These figures include Fidel Castro.

Sincerely,

David Deutschmann
Publisher/President
Ocean Press