[Marxism] Prayers and Parking Meters: all there is in life ?

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Sat May 29 04:29:37 MDT 2004

At the cultural other end of that story, if you've forgotten about Dylan's
Subterranean Homesick Blues, there is the California scene "Red Hot Chili
Peppers" number, "Buy the way".

Standing in line
To see the show tonight
And there's a light on
Heavy glow
By the way I tried to say
I'd be there... waiting for
Dani the girl
is singing songs to me
Beneath the marquee... overload
Steak Knife Caro Shark
Con Job Boot Cut
Skin that flick
She's such a little DJ
Get there quick
By street but not the freeway
turn that trick
to make a little leeway
Beat that nic
But not the way that we play
Dog Town Blood Bath
Rib Cage Soft Tail
Standing in line
To see the show tonight
And there's a light on
Heavy glow
By the way I tried to say
I'd be there... waiting for
Black Jack Dope Dick
Pawn Shop Quick Pick
Kiss that Dyke
I know you want to hold one
Not on strike
But I'm about to bowl one
Bite that mic
I know you never stole one
Girls that like
A story so I told one
Song Bird Main Line
Cash Back Hard top
Standing in line
To see the show tonight
And there's a light on
Heavy glow
By the way I tried to say
I'd be there... waiting for
Dani the girl
is singing songs to me
Beneath the marquee... of her soul
By the way I tried to say
I'd be there... waiting for
Standing in line
To see the show tonight
And there's a light on
Heavy glow
By the way I tried to say
I'd be there... waiting for
Dani the girl
is singing songs to me
Beneath the marquee... of her soul
By the way I tried to say
I know you
>From before
Standing in line
To see the show tonight
And there's a light on
Heavy glow
By the way I tried to say
I'd be there... waiting for

The Peppers get a mention on the "Axis of Justice" site, described as a
"non-profit political organization formed by Tom Morello of Audioslave and
Serj Tankian of System of a Down. Its purpose is to bring together
musicians, fans of music, and grassroots political organizations to fight
for social justice together. We aim to build a bridge between fans of music
around the world and local political organizations to effectively organize
around issues of peace, human rights, and economic justice."
http://www.axisofjustice.org/.  Chili Peppers band member Anthony said in an
interview: "Well, what is success? Success is different to a lot of
different people. You know, I think that we were successful from the very
first day we became a band because we were doing something that we believed
in. Playing music for people, whether it's two people or two million people,
is being successful. (...) I hate talking about songs. I really hate
analyzing our music. It takes all the fun out of it, it takes the mystery
and the beauty out of it. We work on songs and we record them for people to
hear and it isn't our place to sit there and try to give detailed
explanations of how a song came to be or what it's about. (...) Songwriting
is a state of mind, it's a state of spirit. It happens every way imaginable.
There's no formula. No song is ever written the same way twice. It happens
with a bass line. It happens with a guitar part. It happens with a drum
part. It happens with a vocal part. It happens when we get together and work
and there is no secret to it. It's just an intangible factor of illogic
behavior. And then some. Flea adds: "I think probably because of certain
things we've done in our career, there have been a lot of misconceptions
about this band. There have been misconceptions that we're just a party band
from California that surfs and skates all the time and that all of our songs
are about that. I think that's a very common misconception. I think the Red
Hot Chili Peppers have always run a pretty wide spectrum throughout our
careers and obviously through the years we have become more capable to
express that range. But, you know, people can think what they will. We don't
regret anything; we're proud of everything that we do. (...) All there is in
life is honesty and love. There's nothing else, really, and without those,
we simply couldn't exist. It just would be ridiculous." And in another
interview, Flea said: The only pressure that I would have making a record
would be if there was tension between me and other members of the band or
tension in the creative process, but it doesn't relate to what's happening
in terms of us selling our records - people want to know if we're selling
more or less - I mean that's business, but I don't give a f**k about it. I
enjoy making money like anyone else does, and the money is a lot of energy -
I just pray that with the money that I have that I can use it well, but in
terms of pressure? Like commercial success? No, I just don't care about it."
Red Hot Chili Peppers will release a live album in August but the CD will
only be available in Australia, New Zealand, Europe and Japan. What is the
state of the music market these days ? In Australia at least, total sales of
musical recordings are still growing (5.98% increase in 2003 over 2002) with
9.4 million CD singles and 50.6 million CD albums being sold. The total
Australian resident population was about 19.7 million people, and if you
assume 6 million of them would buy most of the records, this would imply a
purchase of about 8 CD albums per person per year. The UK market has
increased by just 0.1%.

 The global music market is said to be worth $US32 billion or about 0.1% of
world GDP, with total unit sales (including music video) of 2.7 billion
(world population 6.2 billion). World sales of recorded music fell by 7.6%
in value in 2003. The fourth consecutive year of falling music world sales
is attributed to the combined effects of digital and physical piracy (1.8
billion units and 1.1 billion disks in 2002; one in three disks sold is said
to be pirated, the global pirate market is said to be worth $6.4 billion,
and 50 million pirate music discs were seized in 2002), and competition from
other entertainments. Underlying the continuing spread of music piracy is
global overcapacity in the manufacture of optical discs, i.e. discs carrying
all media including music, film and computer software. IFPI estimates that
there are approximately 1,000 optical disc plants worldwide. Music on audio
formats fell 9.9% in value. A small portion of this loss was compensated by
an increase of 46.6% in music video sales. Sales of CD albums around the
world dropped by 9.1% in value, while sales of singles fell by 18.7%. US,
the UK and Japan feature at number one, two and three in the world's top 10
major music markets, together account for over half of world musical
recording sales. Western Europe showed particularly sharp falls in recent
years. Sales in Germany, heavily affected by CD-R burning and illegal
file-sharing, were down 19% in 2003 and down by more than 30% in value since
1999. Denmark, France, Sweden, Belgium, Greece, Ireland, Portugal and
Switzerland also experienced double digit declines. Year on year, the
industry has suffered global losses of 20% over the three years since 2000.

When the music's over
Turn out the lights
For the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
The face in the mirror won't stop
The girl in the window won't drop
A feast of friends
"Alive!" she cried
Waitin' for me
Outside!
Before I sink
Into the big sleep
I want to hear
I want to hear
The scream of the butterfly
Come back, baby
Back into my arm
We're gettin' tired of hangin' around
Waitin' around with our heads to the ground
I hear a very gentle sound
Very near yet very far
Very soft, yeah, very clear
Come today, come today
What have they done to the earth?
What have they done to our fair sister?
Ravaged and plundered and ripped her and bit her
Stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn
And tied her with fences and dragged her down
I hear a very gentle sound
With your ear down to the ground
We want the world and we want it...
Now