[Marxism] Latest articles published

Frontlines newspaper alternative at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 31 16:05:45 MDT 2004

Frontlines, The Newspaper of the Left

(También en Español)

http://www.sf-frontlines.com

Lucrecia Bermudez: Why I'm running for Supervisor in District 9

End the City government from PG&E, for Lennar and by the GAP

For a City government from, for and by working families and the people

"The fundamental reason for my run is that I think we need to continue the movement we helped to begin during the historic Matt Gonzalez for Mayor campaign. The incumbent and the other candidates do not share my conviction about the central importance of organizing the progressive movement" -- Lucrecia Bermúdez

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=715&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

_____________

Congressman Tom Lantos uninvited to City College of S.F. Graduation Because his pro-war positions

SAN FRANCISCO – In an extraordinary development, Congressman Tom Lantos (D-San Mateo)late Friday was told his invitation to address the City College of San Francisco graduating class today (5/29/04) had been rescinded – as had a prestigious award to him – because he was a "war activist" who supports the occupation of Iraq and Palestine.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=711&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

_______________

Greens for Nader Seeks Party Support for Presidential Campaign

"Nader is by far the strongest peace candidate that the Greens can support in the upcoming election. Nader has done a tremendous job over the last eight years in helping to build the Green Party. While we would prefer that Nader would accept an outright nomination, supporting Ralph in the 2004 Presidential election is the best way to ensure that the issues we are concerned about are part of the Presidential debate," --Peter Camejo

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=709&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

______________

Iraqi Unions file complaint against the Occupation Forces and their Iraqi Governing Council for anti-labor practices

"Hundreds of thousands of workers in Iraq are currently unemployed (70% of the workforce according to recent survey), and there is widespread fear that their economic well-being has been taken out of their control and in fact depends on the occupying forces."

"In the current situation, Iraqi workers fear that the decisions made by the occupying forces, particularly in the economic field with privatization, would continue the plundering of the Iraqi resources by the multinational corporations."

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=708&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

______________

Green Party membership rejects Early Endorsements for candidates in D5 and D9, defeating proposals by the "leadership"

By Gina Alvarez

The San Francisco Green Party is a strange political animal.

On one side it has produced stunning campaigns of candidates who flashed apparently out of nowhere to win offices, increasing the prestige and standing of the party. In spite of having only 3% registration in the City, the number of voters who identify with the party is probably closer to 20% with potential supporters at even a higher percentage.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=707&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

_______________

Newsom fakes left, critics gave him undeserved credit

By Sebastian Robles

SAN FRANCISCO – According to new polls released by Downtown’s big business, neo-liberal Mayor Gavin Newsom is today at the highest point of popularity since his election in 2003, when he was almost beaten by Matt Gonzalez. This is due, in great measure, to some mostly cosmetic positions he has taken about some social issues since assuming office last January.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=706&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

_______________

Trucks made to drive without cargo in dangerous areas of Iraq

BY SETH BORENSTEIN

Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - (KRT) - Empty flatbed trucks crisscrossed Iraq more than 100 times as their drivers and the soldiers who guarded them dodged bullets, bricks and homemade bombs.

Twelve current and former truckers who regularly made the 300-mile re-supply run from Camp Cedar in southern Iraq to Camp Anaconda near Baghdad told Knight Ridder that they risked their lives driving empty trucks while their employer, a subsidiary of Halliburton Inc., billed the government for hauling what they derisively called "sailboat fuel."

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=705&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

_______________

>From Democrat to Green in San Francisco: Why Local 2 endorsed Gonzalez last time around

Union Switches Mayoral Endorsement to Third-Party Candidate

by N. Renuka Uthappa

June 2004

Unions are not known for their support of third-party candidates, especially when there’s also a Democrat in the race, but Hotel and Restaurant Employees (HERE) Local 2 endorsed Green Party candidate Matt Gonzalez in San Francisco’s 2003 mayoral election. Gonzalez nearly won that election, garnering 47 percent of the vote against Democrat Gavin Newsom.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=687&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

_______________

How Bush and the US lost the War and Occupation of Iraq

By Carlos Petroni

The US already has lost the War and Occupation of Iraq. Why are Bush, Democrats and Republicans, continuing to press ahead?

Let’s face it, George W. Bush and the US have already lost the war and occupation of Iraq. The only thing remaining is to find out how many more people, both Iraqis and US soldiers, will need to die before the US Armed Forces are chased out of Iraq for good and the Bush administration - along with their Democratic and Republican supporters in Congress - admit their failure.

Read more...

http://www.sf-frontlines.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=679&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Plus the best coverage of the war and occupation of Iraq, Latin America, US politics and much more. Visit us often as we publish daily online.

http://www.sf-frontlines.com

Read the latest issue of Frontlines at http://www.sf-frontlines.com
Local, National and International political news and commentaries.