[Marxism] Homo floresiensis

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Mon Nov 1 06:08:02 MST 2004

I wonder how long it will take for this debate to percolate down to
American fundamentalists?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3964579.stm
DESMOND MORRIS
Suppose for a moment that a living tribe of these beings is discovered,
how should they be treated? Are they merely advanced apes, or are they
miniature humans? If an explorer brought back one of their infants to
study, would you put him down for Eton or the Zoo?

If he died, would he be buried in consecrated ground or a pet cemetery?
His very existence among us would make us question all over again, what
it is to be human. We are not used to this because our ancestors
successfully killed off all our close relatives. This has created a
chasm between us and the other animals, a chasm so big that religion
went as far as to say that we are not even related to them. Humans have
souls and they do not.

Darwin put a stop to this nonsense with his theory of evolution, but
amazingly the blindingly obvious truth he discovered is still resisted
by large sections of the human population. They stubbornly continue to
insist that we are some kind of special creation. The arrival of
"Mini-Man" is going to give them nightmares.
[More, plus letters]

DAVID WILKINSON (lecturer in theology and science)
I still see the special status of humanity in the gift of relationship
with God, a relationship affirmed in the life, death and resurrection
of Jesus. After all, hobbits were never a problem to the Christian
orthodoxy of a certain JRR Tolkien.
[More, plus letters]