[Marxism] Cubans, Kerry, Bush, oppressive environment

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Mon Nov 1 12:06:36 MST 2004

Mike Friedmann, supporting M. Gandall, writes:

[As regards the Kerry - Bush alternative]

"Bitter oppression by itself can -- can -- breed demoralization,
rather than resistance. When a people see an alternative --
such as the FSLN after 40 years of dictatorship -- they may
collectively move. BUT, in neither case are facile cause-effect
arguments justified."

The question is whether Kerry would bring in some relaxation in the
oppressive policies of US imperialism, or not.

Cubans tend to believe it would.  They must have their reasons.

I tend to believe it won't. I have my own set of reasons.

The Cubans have not always been right.  Both the "foco" and the lack
of perspective on the eventuality of a breaking down of the SU were
serious problems.

I think that they hope a milder government if Kerry gets to the White
House, and that on this they are wrong.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822