[Marxism] Electoral hibernation ends

Octob1917 at aol.com Octob1917 at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 09:29:33 MST 2004

In a message dated 11/4/2004 8:01:12 AM Pacific Standard Time, lnp3 at panix.com
writes:
Joe, there is no way in hell that a revolutionary movement in the USA
can grow out of tenant associations, credit unions, food drives for the
ultra-poor, and especially fitness classes. You are living in some kind
of crypto-Maoist fantasy.

In your previous incarnation as "Scotlive", you held up the Black
Panthers as an example for what the left should be doing. Unlike you, I
happened to be in the USA when the Panthers were in their heyday. While
nobody can doubt the need for free breakfasts, there is absolutely no
evidence that this kind of 'serve the people' activity made any
long-lasting impact.

Well...I admit the way I used the term fitness classes, it sounds as if I'm
advocating a Jane Fonda type regimen towards the revolution. That's not what I
meant. I meant youth activites. One of the comrades at the IAC office in LA
has arranged with a community group in S. Central to hold half hour jujitsu
classes followed by half hour political forums for young people. This is a start,
and can only be an improvement upon what...? Nothing, really. The feeling that
we're sitting back waiting for people to awaken and come to up of their own
accord is now more apparent than ever.

As to your assertion that no revolutionary movement can grow out of tenant
associations, etc., of course not, but it serves as a way to build trust and
respect, and out of these ties, marrried to a change in material conditions,
things can and do happen. The revolutionary upsurge which took place in the six
counties of Ireland around the late sixties came on the back of beleagured and
oppressed nationalist communities already being organised in exactly the kind
of community self-help groupings I'm talking about. This is indisputable. Look
at any oppressed community where what you refer to rather condascendingly as
'serve the people' activities have taken place and you will see that it does
work. In Palestine, the Six Counties as I already mentioned, and in the case of
the Panthers here in the US.

Also, regardless of whether or not you were in the US around the time of the
Panthers, I suspect you weren't in the black communities they operated and
were active in. There's not doubt that they were very effective, and helped to
politicize a lot of the youth. The manner in which the FBI came down on them
indicates just how effective they were.

Joe