[Marxism] Too damned colonialist for words

Octob1917 at aol.com Octob1917 at aol.com
Fri Nov 5 11:00:10 MST 2004

In a message dated 11/5/2004 9:46:25 AM Pacific Standard Time, lnp3 at panix.com
writes:
Joe, you'd better get off this tack of street credibility. Nobody knows
who you are or what you do or where you live or where you came from for
sure. You have never provided us with your real name, but show up first
as "Scotlive" and now "October1917". Frankly, this is not the kind of
intervention we welcome here, for whatever reason you adopt it. We try
to encourage people to use a first and last name, even if it is not
their real name.

Louis, you keep mentioning the fact that I've been on this list under two
different 'handles.' Given you've just stated that it doesn't matter who you are
or where you're from, what does it matter what name I post under?

I am not from this country, which makes me slightly more vulnerable than
people who are. Doesn't it then follow that I may be a little careful about
posting names and details on a public forum?

My problem is with people heaping attacks on movements rooted in oppressed
communities because they fail to appear to 'ordinary black people,' whatever
that means.

Again, and in line with Lou, unless you've been a member of an oppressed
communiyt - ie: a black from harlem or South Central, a Palestinian in the West
Bank, or a Catholic in the occupied Six Counties, it is the height of
paternalism to criticise from the safety of a comfort inside white skin or a university
campus. Why not trying listening to people from oppressed communities, rather
than holding a position that they should listen to you?

Street credibility has nothing to do with this. Credibility, however, comes
with this ability to listen, learn and understand, rather than lecture from
within the hallowed halls of a university campus.

Joe