[Marxism] RE: Adios, Marxmail

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 6 16:35:48 MST 2004

Mark Lause wrote:

> Actually, there's a very imporant distinction between racism as an
> institutional matter and racism as a matter of personal prejudices.
> Generally speaking, the proponents of the status quo have smudged them
> entirely and made the latter the focus of public attention rather than
> the former.

Thirty years ago I thought this had been established, at least among
leftists. Naive of me I guess. Some battles have to be fought over and
over again.

The battle, precisely, is against institutional racism, and in fact
some, even many, who are in one sense or another "personally prejudiced"
can be enlisted in the battle against institutional racism, and in the
procesds begin to correct their personal racism.

The whole racist (or liberal racist) backlash of the last 30 years has
proceeded under the flag of identifying racism with merely personal
prejudice.

Carrol