[Marxism] Cockburn on the elections

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sat Nov 6 21:22:14 MST 2004

Read this Lou and thanks for continually bringing
CounterPunch articles to our attention.

UI still have a soft spot for Michael Moore though he got
lost in these elections.

But what can we make of this Lou?

"If the Democrats had wanted to identify a serious saboteur
of their chances they should have homed in on Mayor Gavin
Newsom of San Francisco whose okay to gay marriage saw all
those same sex couples on the steps of City Hall embracing,
on every front page and nightly news in America. Ohio had its
proposition banning gay marriage and the drive to put it on
the ballot and push it to victory brought the Christians out
in their hundreds of thousands, marching to the polls across
the rubble of their state's economy."

(Cockburn, Counterpunch Nov6/7 2004)

Words almost fail me here.  Yet I should immune by now to the
treachery of many left heteros on gay issues. Why do
straights find it so easy to blame the victim when the victim
is a "fag".  I doubt if they would say the same things about
any other minority.

regards

Gary