[Marxism] Re: Looking for a "Man Date"?

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Tue Nov 9 07:50:00 MST 2004

.    On  09.11.04
  wrote  andromeda246 at hetnet.nl (Jurriaan Bendien)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  01f701c4c665$8c2e0800$0100000a at jurriaan
  about  [Marxism] Looking for a "Man Date"?

  Please, when you reply to a message, do actually use the REPLY
function of your mail program (MS Outlook Express), and do not create
a new thread with the same subject. In many many cases it is
impossible to find out, which message you are replying to since the
"In-Reply-To:" header is missing which is used by intelligent mail
programs (not Outlook Express apparently) to locate the message
replied to. At least put some indicator at the top of your message.

JB> The only way in which this warped situation could change, would be if
JB> a voting system of proportional representation was substituted for a
JB> first-past-the-post system in the US, such that no votes are lost,
JB> and representation in government is based accurately on real voting
JB> strength.

  No, that would not change very much.

  Increased _social activity_ would be the key, i.e. primarily a rise
in class conflicts, with a strengthenig of working peoples self-esteem
and self-confidence.

  Changing technicalities of the election setup would not do the
trick, which is one of the fallacies of the Nader/Camejo campaign
which heavily pushed that theme.

  What the USA sees as a record participation would be seen in most
European countries as a catastrophically low participation, which is
currently reached (from above) only in regional, municipal or european
elections (when I started my conscious political life, participation
rates of 90% and more were normal in West German federal elections).

  The basic cause for this difference is that the working classes in
most European countries had managed to build their own parties, and
still maintain those, even if they are barely recognizable as being
related to the interests of working people, as e.g. the policies of
wage cutting and prolongation of working hours of the current German
government composed of Social-Democrats and Greens show.

Yours,

"Kein Land kann seine Probleme in dieser globalisierten Welt allein
auf sich gestellt lösen. Entweder wir retten uns alle zusammen oder
wir gehen zusammen unter. Heute mehr denn je gilt das Wort von José
Martí: Das Vaterland ist die ganze Menschheit."
               - Fidel Castro, Caracas (Veneuzuela), 3. Februar 1999