[Marxism] Thesis on Habermas

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 10 07:57:01 MST 2004

Dear Louis,

I've uploaded my (recently awarded) doctoral thesis to the net. I hope
it may be of some interest to Marxist/F.S/Habermas thinkers.

Once you have access to the list please click on the files link. I have
uploaded the thesis in two parts of about 200 pp each. The abstract is
as follows:

ABSTRACT

In this thesis I explicate and assess the second phase of Jürgen
Habermas’s programme to reconstruct the normative conditions of
possibility for undertaking a critical theory of society. The
publication, in 1981, of Habermas’s The Theory of Communicative Action
(Habermas, 1995) signals the transition from the first phase of his
reconstruction of Critical Theory that commenced in the 1960s with his
critical theory of cognitive interests to the second phase of his
project. I include Habermas’s Between Facts and Norms (1996) in the
second phase of his reconstructive programme for it represents, I
contend, the third and completing volume of The Theory of Communicative
Action.

I argue that an informed assessment of Habermas’s reconstruction of
Critical Theory can only proceed once the domains of application for his
project are clarified. I position Habermas’s project first within the
Critical Theory of the Frankfurt School, and second, within the more
general tradition of Western Marxism. Clarifying the socio-historical
and discursive background to Habermas’s project also indicates the
practical objectives of the second phase of his reconstructed Critical
Theory. For, in contrast to conventional Marxian approaches, I argue
that Habermas intends his reconstructed Critical Theory to intervene
practically at the site of discourse. I locate the critical practice of
Habermas’s project in his response not only to Max Horkheimer’s and
Theodor Adorno’s critique of instrumental reason, but also to the
re-emergent influence of Friedrich Nietzsche’s philosophy, via the
French post-structuralist school, in the West German discursive milieu
during the 1970s and 1980s. My thesis is that the practical or applied
moment of Habermas’s critical theory of communicative action is
discernible in his undertaking to sustain the persuasive signifier of
“reason” in the adversarial socio-philosophical discourse of modernity
taking place in the West German polity of that period. His critical
theory of society responds to the threat posed by these critiques of
reason to the very fabric of the Occidental social order in general, and
the continued viability of the West German political, moral and cultural
traditions, in particular. Habermas’s strategy here, I suggest,
indicates his normative appropriation of Emile Durkheim’s theses on the
integrating function of collective ideals in the consolidation of a
social order.

In assessing Habermas’s project I argue that on a formal level his
reconstruction of Critical Theory effectively theorizes a viable space
for a “positive” critical social theory that resists Horkheimer and
Adorno’s totalizing critique of instrumental reason. On the substantive
level, however, I argue Habermas’s Critical Theory is an under
compelling alternative to the critique of instrumental reason that
Horkheimer and Adorno detail in their later Critical Theory. The strong
thesis I develop in Chapter Seven is that Habermas’s project is unable
to overcome convincingly the aporetic pathos of pessimism that is
generated by Horkheimer and Adorno’s thesis on the dialectic of
enlightenment. Furthermore, I make the case that the social systems
model of participation in the critical-emancipatory project Habermas
outlines, especially in Between Facts and Norms, ironically risks
generating its own aporetic pathos of pessimism. His depiction of the
near-inevitable contribution communicatively-empowered social movements
make to the maintenance and reproduction of an existing social order, I
suggest, compromises the emancipatory aspirations of these social
movements. It is on this basis I conclude that the second phase of
Habermas’s reconstruction of Critical Theory remains problematic.

Matthew Piscioneri

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org