[Marxism] Report Back From LA Protest Against Fallujah

Octob1917 at aol.com Octob1917 at aol.com
Wed Nov 10 20:02:47 MST 2004

(The following was sent out by the LA Chapter of the ANSWER Coalition).

HUNDREDS PROTEST ATTACK ON FALLUJAH AND U.S. MILITARISM
A.N.S.W.E.R. Demo Draws Activists and Military Tanks

Hundreds of protestors converged on the Federal building
in Westwood last night to demonstrate against the U.S.
attack on Fallujah. Colorful signs, banners and placards
lined the busy streets while the crowd militantly chanted
"George Bush, we say no – the occupation has got to go!"
and "The people of Fallujah are under attack. What do we do?
Stand up, fight back!"

The A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition initiated last night’s emergency
demonstration. It was one of many coordinated actions that
took place in cities across the nation protesting the new
U.S. invasion of Fallujah. Activists and leaders from
various progressive organizations attended, including
members of Free Palestine Alliance, CAIR, Coalition for
World Peace, Women in Black, U.S. Labor Against War, NION,
ADC-LA/OC and more.

As the demonstration was winding up, two large U.S. military
tanks drove past the protestors on Wilshire Boulevard two
times. The second time, the tanks stopped directly in front
of a group of about 50 protestors for nearly five minutes.
Police attempted to provoke a confrontation with the crowd,
but the people resisted. Instead, they chanted "Bring the
Troops Home Now!"

We do not know where the tanks came from, where they were
going or why they drove past the demonstration. It is an
outrage to see military tanks rolling through the streets
of Los Angeles.

If the tanks were meant to intimidate us, they failed. The
resolve of the protestors to fight against the occupation
was strengthened by their presence. The protestors stuck
together and chanted loudly until the tanks sped away and
the police dispersed.

The presence of military tanks on Wilshire highlights the
need to step up the fight against U.S. militarism. The U.S.
is the most highly militarized nation on the planet with a
defense budget of over $700 billion. We must increase the
struggle against war, occupation, racism and all forms of
bigotry in the U.S and abroad.

The A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition has unveiled an action plan to
deepen the struggle and further unite the antiwar movement
so that it grows even stronger in the months to come. Please
join us in building these exciting upcoming events in Los
Angeles:

PROTEST VIGIL TO BRING THE TROOPS HOME NOW!
Sat, Dec 18, 7 pm
Hollywood & Highland (NW corner)

COUNTER-INAUGURAL DEMONSTRATION
Thurs, Jan 20, 2005, 6 pm
Westwood Federal Building (Wilshire & Veteran)

MASS MARCH AND RALLY – GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION
Sat, March 19, 2005, 12 noon
Location TBA
Los Angeles