[Marxism] Admire Colin Powell - Hell No!!!

Jurriaan Bendien andromeda246 at hetnet.nl
Tue Nov 16 01:06:24 MST 2004

I did not say I had a misconceived admiration for Colin Powell, I said that
although I obviously take a different view, I respected him as a person and
considered that he had had a spectacular life, that he worked very hard in
international politics, with enormous responsibility. Overall, you can
probably say that he had a "moderating influence" in the Bush I
administration. Bush II looks set to be a more "monolithic" structure.

In his autobiography (which, since he is a politician as well as a military
man, of course omits quite a few details, which he couldn't talk about, even
although he is surprisingly frank in places) Powell considers basically that
American intervention in Vietnam had been wrong, quite some admission for
for a senior officer who was involved on the battlefield there. It was in
fact the experience of Vietnam which helped inspire the original "Powell
Doctrine".
I am not best placed to make a substantive critique of Powell's politics,
but I am sure there would be others who could do that.

II

Of course, you can decide not to give your political opponents any human
credit whatsoever, deny that they have any good intentions, and regard them
simply as "evil" human beings and so forth, but that makes any meaningful
dialogue in the framework of democratic or civil discourse impossible, and
renders understanding your political opponents impossible as well. In that
case, the spectrum is just limited to goodies and baddies, angels and
demons, gods and devils, where people are either all bad or all good, all
right or all wrong. It's another thing to deeply understand political
opponents, find that you have absolutely nothing in common with them, and
decide on that basis not to have anything to do with them (or even to
comment on them).

In military affairs, it not infrequently happens that soldiers on opposing
sides of the battle can, even though the purpose of their armies is to
slaughter each other, have respect or even friendship for people from the
other side, and thus transcend the dehumanisation of war, in which it is
necessary to kill without mercy. In fact, sometimes it has happened that
soldiers from opposed sides in the battle fraternized with each other,
something which is often considered dangerous by the leadership, because it
may call into question the very reason of "what are we fighting for". Which
is to say that there are these real contradictions in people's lives, and
that in real life things are rarely all good and all bad, that things are
not all black or all white, and so on, even although we need to know the
difference between them. Diplomats have to deal with this kind of thing
everyday, and it requires special skills.

III

Obviously, political activity requires a definite point of view, a political
"line" which, once decided upon, is consistently carried out and defended
for the duration of a policy, and you cannot compromise on that, by starting
to give your opponents credit which empowers them. You want to test out and
prove the correctness of the political line taken. But, for instance, no
democratic form of organisation can function effectively unless the majority
credits the minority with the possibility that the minority could be
correct, and in principle could, on that basis, become the majority in the
future; just as the minority has to have the discipline to follow the
majority line, until the next discussion about whether the line was correct,
or is still correct.

To be able to evaluate correctly whether it remains possible for the
majority and the minority to work together, however, it is obviously not
helpful to characterize those who differ from your own line as just a bunch
of idiots, totally wrong, evil, worthless etc. You have to be able to see
beyond current differences in some way, and place current disputes in a
broader perspective, to be able to unite people in a common campaign. And
ultimately of course, all human beings have positive intentions, the highest
positive intention being the aspiration for immortality.

IV

A world in which things are either good or bad, right or wrong, plus or
minus, can provide comfort and security, but dialectical thought provides us
with the insight that this comfort and security may have shaky foundations,
since real life contains many contradictions which must be mediated all the
time, and that therefore we have to retain a capacity for relativizing
matters (cf. Zizek, who tries to do this in provocative ways to shake people
out of complacency). There are boundaries and limits which must be sharply
defined, but I think we have to bear in mind why we are doing it, and not
absolutize boundaries and limits when it's clear no eternal truths are
really applicable in the given case.

Jurriaan