[Marxism] Re: General claims Fallujah outcome has broken back of insur

Lueko Willms l.willms at jpberlin.de
Fri Nov 19 04:43:00 MST 2004

.    On  18.11.04
  wrote  ffeldman at bellatlantic.net (Fred Feldman)
     on  /ALIST/MARXMAIL
     in  000001c4cde4$4f745c80$6401a8c0 at fredpc
  about  [Marxism] Re: General claims Fallujah outcome has broken back of insur

FF> First of all, I don't think that Fallujah is a military victory
FF> for Washington in any sense that is meaningful in
FF> counterinsurgency imperialist war.  I think the costs were way too
FF> high, and I am not even convinced at all that they have eliminated
FF> the insurgency in Fallujah even temporarily.  The ability to wage
FF> a costly battle in Fallujah with a small portion of the fighters
FF> there previously, while launching a variety of attacks including
FF> the semi-takeover of Mosul which seems unlikely to be COMPLETELY
FF> reversed, seems to represent increased strength.

   Since past Sunday, they claimed every day to have finished the
Fallujah resistance "for all practical purposes" and they still report
continued fighting every day.

   Wednesday night CNN (Int'l) aired a report by an embedded reporter
for the British Channel 4 who showed how women and children were
brought _out_ of Fallujah and left somewhere on the road far out of
the city. Also, that men were allowed and brought into the city only
as workers to collect corpses and general clean-up tasks. Also the
huge amoung of destruction was visible.

   I think that while this battle of Fallujah may result in a military
success, but that it results in an important political setback for the
occupation. And the success may be as short-lived as the conquest of
Samarra.

   It is also amusing how these US military commanders are obsessed
with "command and control", as if the people fighting the foreign
invasor would only be moved by orders from above and the threat of
reprisals.

   This tells more about how they see us human beings than about their
chances of suppressing the resistance.

FF> Frankly, I think the people who believe that there are WMDs in Iraq
FF> (other than US ones) will probably buy this phony story for a time,
FF> but I think the main thing the general accomplished was to set the
FF> line for the next issue of  "The Militant."

   We will be able to see it probably this evening.

Yours,

"Das Volk, das ein anderes Volk unterjocht, schmiedet seine eigenen
Ketten."                         - Karl Marx           (1. Januar 1870)